Home | News    Thursday 14 July 2016

Machar changes military base location outside Juba after clashes

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 13, 2016 (JUBA) – South Sudan’s First Vice President, Riek Machar, has changed location of his military base and residential area after they came under sustained ground and air attacks for days as they battled forces loyal to President Salva Kiir outside the national capital, Juba.

JPEG - 17.5 kb
Riek Machar gestures as he speaks to rebel General Peter Gatdet Yaka (not seen) in a rebel controlled territory in Jonglei on February 1, 2014. (Photo Reuters/Goran Tomasevic)

His spokesperson has confirmed to Sudan Tribune that their forces who had been stationed behind Jebel Kujur, about 5 kilometres southwest of Juba town, including Site 2, had relocated but have remained within the vicinity of Juba.

“Yes, they have relocated the base, but they have remained within the vicinity of Juba area,” said James Gatdet Dak on Wednesday.

He said the decision was to avoid further violence with forces loyal to President Salva Kiir after the declaration of ceasefire on Monday evening.

This also came after Machar’s residence near his base was also targeted and bombed with helicopter gunships, destroying it. He was not however hurt as his official said he was not inside the house at the time of the bombing.

Dak however said his boss has remained committed to the peace agreement and ordered his forces to respect the cessation of hostilities he declared on Monday.

The opposition leader’s spokesperson also added that their side proposed the need to deploy a third party force which should create a buffer zone between the two rival forces in order to ensure there is no return to violence.

The third party force, he said, was preferable the current peace keepers of the United Nations in South Sudan (UNMISS), but added that other countries could contribute forces as long as they would be under the UNMISS mandate and command.

He also said the security arrangements for Juba and other major towns in the country should be reviewed and operationalized to ensure restoration of security.

He denied reports that Machar was returning to the bush in the same way he did in December 2013 when he was chased out of Juba by President Kiir’s forces.

“No, he is not going back to the bush. He only wants to avoid further violence in Juba. Once the necessary security issues are addressed, he will come back to his office in Juba,” Dak added.

Fighting erupted on Friday until Monday between Machar’s forces, numbering over 1,000 and forces loyal to President Kiir. The forces of the former rebel leader were reportedly overwhelmed during the four days of fighting as there are allegedly over 20,000 government troops in and around Juba.

Sources said as President Kiir’s forces were able to bring new fighters as reinforcement during the clashes; Machar’s forces were exhausted and outnumbered while their wounded soldiers were not able to access medical treatments in town.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 July 2016 21:31, by barbayo

    who are party force? if you do not control your army as rebels mental

    repondre message

    • 14 July 2016 11:08, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

      Dear South Sudanese
      Dr. Riek Machar, respecting peace deal after he Lost (killed) his forces of more than 272 military personnel.
      In human history
      He learnt through his mistakes.

      repondre message

  • 13 July 2016 21:38, by barbayo

    James Gadet Dak want to kill Dr Raik Machar was discovered yesterday James Gadet was government gent in secret now .more sources are coming

    repondre message

    • 13 July 2016 21:57, by choldit

      U proving urself useless for this kind of communication. Ur words don’t make sense at all. U thought Dr Machar may have dy becoz his residential area was bormbed. Please make ideas that make sense. This is a world wide forum not a Dinka cattle camp.

      repondre message

      • 13 July 2016 22:32, by barbayo

        all our Nuer communities wherever they are James Gadet Dak was one who killed all Nuer in Juba due to wrong information on his facebook and some media as Raik was arrested .

        repondre message

  • 13 July 2016 21:56, by Force 1

    James Gatdet Dak is a pinhead who use to himself Midiit years ago here on this Sudan Tribune site. His idiocy and spreading of misinformation never change whatsoever.

    repondre message

  • 13 July 2016 22:49, by DHARCHEP

    Relocation is not a solution. The solution is to surrender or get killed like two fucken Nuer leaders such as James Kaong Chuol, and Gatwech Dual who were killed on Monday. That is the kind of agreement that Dinka need. Dinka are in every corners of South Sudan. Were are the people who called themselves they worriors? Nuer people listen through their asses.

    repondre message

  • 13 July 2016 23:24, by Freedom Fighter

    Gadet Dak,

    Keep lying until you admit that all of your White Army troops in Juba are gone, and that your stupid people are fighting actually not against the Dinka but the national Army called SPLA which defeated not too long ago the powerful Jallaba state in Khartoum

    Freedom Fighter

    repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 08:07, by Whortti Bor Manza

    This is a big lie you cohort. The SPLA never won the south militarily, but thro an agreement in 2005. Big towns like Juba, Wau, Malakal were fully under the gov control. River barges used to move unescorted freely between Juba and Kosti. Even Gogrial the home town of Kiir was gov held.
    Wait and see the coming few months.

    repondre message

    • 14 July 2016 09:24, by Alfredo christiani

      Dear Bor Manza
      you have to accept the defeat , two senior illiterates militias commanders of SPLA-IO were killed in Juba and you are still denying it . let your so call chief of staff talk today on media to show the world that he is alive with his colleagues James Kuong.

      repondre message

      • 14 July 2016 09:38, by Malakal county Simon

        Proof it than making wishful think you idiot above Called Christian.

        repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 08:58, by barbayo

    Machar your running is not solution better implementing the peace

    repondre message

    • 14 July 2016 09:27, by barbayo

      this morning fighting erupt in Pagak due to majority from Ethiopia Nuer are killed under Machar command as Raik Machar deceived them to go South Sudan and to work there as South Sudanese Nationality , all of them are killed due to poor management of Dr Raik not care the life people, Gambella Nuer attack Pagak this morning more information are coming .

      repondre message

    • 14 July 2016 09:35, by Malakal county Simon

      Barbayo/Slave

      If I were you, I would probably concentrating to improve my English than barking here and there..... Where is your proof than believing in hearsays by the enemy of peace that James Gatded, is planning to assassinate Dr Machar???? If you can’t provide your proof then I advise you to be quit because this accusation is a desperate move, and could end your life unknowingly....

      repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 10:11, by Alfredo christiani

    Dear Malakal county Poison
    You are a stupid person who runout of ideas and you don’t know what to write on this forum. All Nuer will finish after Riak like the way two seniors’ officers had gone and the rest will follow soon, if you don’t surrender yourselves to the government of Salve Kiir

    repondre message

    • 14 July 2016 14:18, by Malakal county Simon

      Christiani

      You calling me stupid just because I asked you to provide your proof in regards to to unfounded false claimed that’s IO lost two seniors officers in recent initiated fighting by government forces???? I think is you who is being stupid by believing anything being said without questioning the clarity of of it.... it’s very insane of you of believing any thing being said with no proof

      repondre message

      • 14 July 2016 16:38, by Alfredo christiani

        Malakal County poison

        Simple answer to your question, if they are not killed let them talk on media to proof their safety to the people of South Sudan and international community, full stop don’t make noises on Sudan tribune for the gone case of two senior illiterates generals, soon you will hear a different breaking news from BBC apart from Simon Getwach and James Kuong

        repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 10:50, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Which mean that Riek Machar, rebelled once again, because he said he is out of Juba city.

    repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 11:18, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Many thanks to Dr. Machar, for what he learnt through his mistakes
    The government was advising you as well as your army to let them behavior like humans and to respect the peace agreement, but your arms didn’t respect the peace that was only caused of changed military base but president Kiir, talking to you to implement peace rather than violence.

    repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 11:31, by doot

    Relocation of military base is a again a good move.The move will reduce the level of confortations between the Govforces and riekforces.Govforces and riekforces are supposed to be somewhat miles a part.These miles are very important as "buffer".Not creating buffer is a mistake.A mistake could perhaps result in a further lost of lives.The lost of lives should be avoided as such.

    repondre message

  • 14 July 2016 17:22, by lino

    Ya Junubeen, killing Machar or Salvar is the not the solution for South Sudan problems. The problem is bigger than what you are talking about :
    1- the country is bankrupt.
    2- People are hungry without salaries.
    3- No security in all SS and now communities attacking each other.
    4- laws and orders have been lost and everyone taking it on his own hands.
    KHARTOUM is the winner in all these mess.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Do Not Provoke a Sleeping Dog: Response to Dr Lam Akol 2020-04-04 14:35:55 By: Josephine Joseph Lagu Recently, Dr. Lam Akol Ajawin, leader of the National Democratic Movement, NDM has been at arms with the South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA), making media statements (...)

How we should look at the relationship between the two Sudans 2020-04-04 08:28:35 I dedicate this contribution to martyrs and friends, and especially to our leader Dr John Garang De Mabior, Yousif Kuwa Mekki, Mohamed Juma Nail, Hashim Abubakr, Mohamed Ahmed Omar Al Haboub, (...)

Of Peacekeepers and Pandemics 2020-04-03 07:43:49 By Jean-Pierre Lacroix The COVID-19 pandemic is also developing in countries marred by armed conflict. In an op-ed featured in Le Monde, the head of United Nations Peacekeeping, Jean-Pierre (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.