Home | News    Thursday 23 June 2016

Sudanese army orders troops to observe cessation of hostilities : spokesperson

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 22, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) on Wednesday said it has directed its troops in the Two Areas to observe a four-month cessation of hostilities declared by President Omer al-Bashir last week.

SAF spokesperson Ahmed Khalifa al-Shami (Photo Defence Ministry website)

"The Armed Forces announces that it directed all its unity, formations and supporting forces to cease fire in the states of South Kordofan and the Blue Nile, in implementation of a decision by the President of the Republic and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. It takes effect at 24.01 am on Saturday, June 18, 2016 for a four month period," said a statement by SAF spokesperson Ahmed al-Shami.

Al-Shami further said the army will reserve the right to respond to any aggression on its positions or on its mobile units.

On Tuesday, the State Department welcomed the unilateral truce and called on Khartoum to extend it to Darfur region.

However, Sudanese official say they crushed the rebel groups in the western Sudan region and do not see any need for that.

Last April , the armed groups in Darfur and the two states issued a declaration of a six month cessation of hostilities and requested the African mediation panel to facilitate a meeting to discuss the details of a comprehensive cessation of hostilities.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 23 June 2016 08:48, by Kalo

    Not cessation of hostilities but buying of time after failing to achieved their objectives of summer offensive,they said before two month to end rebellion in Sk and B.N,where were they now? you will never win the war unless to accept peace.
    Son of Nuba

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


We neither Forget nor Forgive the 3 June 2019 Massacre 2020-06-04 06:41:26 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Today Wednesday, June 3rd 2020 comes as the great epic of redemption at the dawn of the third of June 2019, whose memory will remain immortal in the history book, (...)

The untold crisis of health system in South Sudan 2020-06-03 06:49:09 by Dr Jok Gang The South Sudanese war began in 1955 at the time when people of the region began to feel a lack of representation in the government and therefore the absence of the crucial (...)

Ethiopia GERD: Let us work for sustainable solution 2020-06-03 06:33:18 by Dejen Yemane Messele The recently published opinion piece on the Sudan Tribune in the title ‘Ethiopia’s Renaissance Dam: A last chance for Diplomacy’ triggers me to write this piece as a reply. (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.