Home | News    Saturday 2 January 2016

Sudan’s president extends cessations of hostilities for one month

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 1, 2015 (KHARTOUM) - President Omer Hassan al-Bashir declared a one-month cessation of hostilities and renewed his call for the armed groups to join the national dialogue process.

JPEG - 43.5 kb
President Omer al-Bashir speaking at the opening of the second parliamentary session 19 Oct 2015 (Photo SUNA)

Speaking on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the independence on Thursday 31 December, al-Bashir said this decision comes within the framework of the government efforts create a conducive environment and to bring the holdout groups to the national dialogue process which he extended for one month last week.

"I am pleased to announce the government’s decision to extend the cease-fire for another month and I renew call to arms bearers to listen to the voice of reason and to join peace and the national dialogue which is run by a pure Sudanese will," he said.

On 22 September 2015, the Sudanese president issued a republican decree declaring a truce for two months and granted general amnesty for the armed movements that would join in the national dialogue conference which started on 10 October.

However, after the failure of the 10th round of peace talks in Addis Ababa last November the Sudanese army officials declared the resumption of military operations against the rebels in the Blue Nile and South Kordofan states.

The government and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) are expected to meet this January in a second round of informal discussions under the auspices of the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) in Addis Ababa.

Sources close to the file of negotiations said the first meeting held last December was positive, because it gave the two parties for the first time the opportunity to discuss openly the pending issues and to understand the positions of each other.

Observers point that the second round could enable the two parties to draft some understandings on the national dialogue, the cessation of hostilities and the humanitarian access.

In a statement issued on the occasion of Sudan’s Independence Day, the SPLM-N leader Malik Agar reiterated their demand for a comprehensive solution in Sudan and denied reports about an agreement reached with Khartoum last December.

"I would like here to restate the position of the movement on the peaceful settlement, that the SPLMN will not sign any agreement that is not comprehensive involving all Sudanese stakeholders," Agar said.

He further reassured the SPLM-N allies in the "Sudan Call" that these "false" reports meant for triggering a political rift between his movement and the opposition forces.

"This regime must stand to be transform, we must all put our acts together to bring about change," he further stressed.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 January 2016 10:50, by Kalo

    Meaningless so- called cessation of hostilities/case fire by NCP international criminal leader alBalid.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why a national court may be good option for Sudan’s al-Bashir 2020-02-21 11:12:28 By Iffat Rahman My friend on the Hill forwarded me a request to attend an event with Prime Minister of Sudan, Abdallah Hamdok. It was one of his several visits to DC and the purpose was clear: (...)

Remove Sudan from the terror list 2020-02-19 07:04:27 By David L. Phillips Khartoum – Sudanese deserve to be rewarded for overthrowing the dictator Omar al-Bashir. Without a peace dividend, the economy will remain stagnant and shadowy forces from (...)

South Sudan: Revert strictly to 10 states 2020-02-16 15:56:54 By James Gatdet Dak Lampuar By unilaterally creating administrative areas---when the action is supposed to strictly revert the country to the constitutional 10 states----South Sudan's Presidency (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.