Home | News    Wednesday 12 August 2015

Rebels accuse gov’t forces of mass killing in S. Sudan’s Unity state

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 11, 2015 (LEER/MAYIANDIT) - South Sudanese rebels in the oil-rich Unity state have accused forces loyal to president Salva Kiir and their Bul-Nuer and Dinka Warrap allied militias of killing over 200 civilians, mainly women and children, last month in Leer and Mayiandit counties.

JPEG - 19.8 kb
South Sudanese soldiers patrol the streets of Unity state capital Bentiu on 12 January 2014 (Photo: Simon Maina/AFP)

In a press release extended to Sudan Tribune on Tuesday by press secretary of the rebel appointed governor of Unity state, Ruai Kuol Jal, he accused the pro-government forces of attacking civilians and continuing to loot their properties, in the south of the state capital, Bentiu.

“This is to tell the world that Juba regime and allied militias are continuing with their search for those who have gone to bush for hiding, killing them and abducted girls as sex slaves,” Major Weirial Puok told Sudan Tribune over phone interview.

The official claimed that government forces looted cattle and food stuffs belonging to vulnerable civilians in the area.

Kuong Kuony Dhol, Leer county commissioner for rebels allied to Machar also told Sudan Tribune in a separate interview that government forces were searching for the hideouts of the civilians to kill, torture or abduct them.

He accused the government of committing crimes against humanity following abduction of children and murder of civilians. Dhol claimed their forces were regrouping in several parts of the county to encounter attacks on pro-government offensive.

“We are in preparation for full scale resistance against these gangs whose aim [is] to finish the citizens after they looted their resources. For that matter you will hear different news whereby my station will not be Leer again but Mayom or Tonj,” he said.

He further said that pro-government forces killed 20 civilians in an area called Kumagap, a suburb of Adok Payam with other 80 people murdered in Philieny and Rubchiar between 28 July and 1 August.

In separate development, Mayiandit county commissioner, Mangouth Koang, told Sudan Tribune over satellite phone interview that dropped food items by World Food Programme (WFP) in Boor area were looted by forces allied to president Salva Kiir.

“These militias of Salva Kiir forces have attacked Boor area after WFP dropped food items to hungry civilians, but these food [items] including cows and goats of civilians were all taken by militias from Bul [Nuer] and Warrap [Dinka] with a backup from government forces,” he said.

The commissioner claimed they were also tracking movement of government forces which planned to attack Payinjiar county at the border with Lakes state which has been one of the strongholds of the rebels allied to the former vice president Riek Machar for the past 20 months of the civil war.

The armed opposition commissioner of Payinjiar county however said their forces were closely monitoring the activities of pro-government forces in Lake state to attack the area through water and land, adding they were ready to face them.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 12 August 2015 12:56, by chuol

    “We are in preparation for full scale resistance against these gangs whose aim [is] to finish the citizens after they looted their resources. For that matter you will hear different news whereby my station will not be Leer again but Mayom or Tonj,” Leer Commissioner said.

    Go ahead GaatGueka

    repondre message

    • 12 August 2015 17:19, by Makuen Ci Nhomwan

      Chuol
      That is what u and your Nyigate Riek Machar deserved. Now you deal with situation. Rebels have no power over the government. We r also ready to clear Bentiu and other part of upper nile where u are wait for tomorrow. Dr. Peter Gadet will clean the greater upper nile sooner .4get about u coming to Tonj dogs.

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Revert strictly to 10 states 2020-02-16 15:56:54 By James Gatdet Dak Lampuar By unilaterally creating administrative areas---when the action is supposed to strictly revert the country to the constitutional 10 states----South Sudan's Presidency (...)

Does Kiir deserve our thanks for abolishing 32 states? 2020-02-16 11:44:03 By Duop Chak Wuol In October 2015, President Salva Kiir issued a decree, expanding the original ten states to 28. In January 2017, Kiir issued another presidential order creating an additional (...)

How hope for peace in South Sudan turned into despair 2020-02-13 04:41:14 By Luke Geng Geng, Kuajok While the ongoing peace talk in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) seems to be flattering again with no signs of positive progress as it is already heading to no direction in like (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.