Home | News    Saturday 2 May 2015

S. Sudanese militia commander backs Juba regime

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 1, 2015 (JUBA) - A militia commander linked to South Sudan army has vowed to continue backing the Juba government, regardless of the latter’s alleged plan to kill him.

JPEG - 38.9 kb
Rebel commander Johnson Olony speaks to the press upon arrival at Juba international airport on 13 June 2013 (ST)

Johnson Olony accused unnamed people of spreading lies that he rebelled against government and the country, allegedly for masterminding recent armed confrontation in Malakal between his forces and the gubernatorial guards.

“There are people who are spreading lies about me. They are saying I have rebelled, [which] is not true. I have not rebelled. I have been in constant contact with the general headquarters, with chief of general staff, with deputy chief of general staff for operations throughout”, Olony told Sudan Tribune by phone on Friday.

“I will never rebel against our people even if the government wants to kill me”, he added.

Olony burst into the limelight as a militia commander in Shilluk kingdom of Upper Nile state between 2010 and April 2012, when he and several other militia groups, responded to a presidential amnesty to abandon rebellion against president, Salva Kiir.

He was later integrated in to the SPLA at the rank of Major General, adjusting down self-promotion from Lieutenant General at the time of abandoning rebellion, but continues to control his forces, which operates separately from the army’s local command structure.

He neither reports to the SPLA’s 1st and 7th division commanders, nor the overall sector commander, but to the general headquarters, contrary to the conventional military chain of command structure.

His forces have, however, fought alongside the government troops against armed opposition fighters allied to the former vice president Riek Machar, during the fight to take and retain control over Malakal town which has changed hands several times between forces when the conflict broke out in 2013.

Las month, Olony’s forces clashed with gubernatorial guards in Malakal after his forces were allegedly denied access to one of Upper Nile governor, Simon Kun Puoc’s guards who sought treatment at local clinic in town. Olony does not deny the charge.

The clash forced the state government to relocate from Malakal town after days of fighting as several pro-government troops were sent to calm the Upper Nile situation.

Gordon Buay, a representative of the South Sudanese government mission in the United States, also dismissed claims that Olony had rebelled against the government.

Buay attributed the recent clashes in Malakal to “mere misunderstandings” and that the Juba government was now working to amicably resolve the matter peacefully.

“It is not correct. General Olony is with the government. He has not rebelled. All that has been said in the media is propaganda by the rebels. He is part of the government”, Buay said on Friday, adding that the government had already sent a team to Malakal to defuse the tension and allow resumption of normal life and activities in town.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 May 2015 09:29, by jacob mayen ajuoi

    Goverment should work hard to put an end this issue of rebelled. I fails to get understand from chief of General staff. since the forces of Olony and David Yau yau, are integrating into South Sudan national Army. why are they still Commanding separate army? On my own analysis these two men are here only for buying time....otherwise still they are against Goverment.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Wonders never cease in South Sudan 2021-04-12 17:54:40 By Lul Gatkuoth Gatluak The firing and appointment of the chief of General staffs in South Sudan is another reckless procedure as far as military reshuffling is concerned. The service lifespan (...)

On the legitimacy of President Salva Kiir 2021-04-04 17:15:11 by Dr Akec Khoc On March 24th 2021, Nhial Deng Nhial, Minister of Presidential affairs stated that President Salva Kiir is not imposing himself on the citizens. In response to this statement, I (...)

UN Security Council urges South Sudan to establish Hybrid Court 2021-03-23 13:36:41 Council Stresses Need for Justice, Rights Monitoring, Civilian Protection by Nyagoah Tut Pur South Sudan should heed last week’s call from the UN Security Council to establish a hybrid court (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.