Home | News    Friday 17 April 2015

SPLM drops criminal charges against former detainees

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 16, 2015 (JUBA) – South Sudan’s ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) agreed on Wednesday to drop criminal charges against leaders detained at the start of the December 2013 conflict.

JPEG - 7.8 kb
Ezekial Lol Gatkuoth (far right) sits with other former senior SPLM officials (from left) Oyay Deng Ajak, Pagan Amum Okiech, Majok D’Agot Atem detained in connection to an alleged plot to overthrow the South Sudanese government (Photo: Charlton Doki/VOA)

The former political detainees, among them former SPLM secretary-general Pagan Amum, were freed in February and April last year.

Ann Itto, the acting secretary general of the SPLM, said the party at its political bureau meeting, agreed that all criminal charges against the former detainees be dropped to enhance their return to Juba.

“The political agreed all criminal charges against former detainees are dropped,” the top party official told Sudan Tribune on Thursday, adding that the provisions of the SPLM re-unification agreement signed in Arusha, Tanzania permits the former political detainees to return home, provided that they have no criminal charges against them.

Itto said the criminal charges had made it difficult for them to return home due to the uncertainty around who the charges applied to, adding the ruling party’s leadership must pave the way for peace and reconciliation.

Criminal charges against Amum, former justice minister John Luk, former deputy defence minister Majak D’Agot, former security minister Oyai Deng, former interior minister Gier Chuang Aluong and others were dropped by a special court in April 2014 after the Juba government came under intensive pressure to release the detainees.

The detainees, upon gaining their freedom, grouped themselves under the G-10, becoming a third bloc in the ongoing peace talks.

However, Itto said the charges were being dropped because of the G-10 and “had nothing to do with death or killing” during the 16-month-long conflict.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed and millions displaced from their homes since the struggle for leadership within the ruling party turned violence in December 2013.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 April 2015 09:48, by Eastern

    The Juba ragime is now beginning to see some sense. The usual talk of you rebels, blah, blah.......we will crash the rebels, blah, blah talk should be left to those of Makuei. All of us need a peaceful South Sudan where citizens are engaged in gainful enterprises rather being in camps.

    repondre message

    • 17 April 2015 11:45, by Mayom County Boy

      I know south Sudan government will be held accountable for all mess that took place during incident time,
      when fighting erupted in Juba on 15 December 2013

      repondre message

  • 17 April 2015 10:21, by Mr Point

    The G10 detainees committed no crimes.
    They were freed when the trial collapsed because no evidence has ever been provided.

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2015 10:26, by Mr Point

    What is the Juba regime doing to prosecute those responsible for the 2013 massacres in Juba?

    You will remember that it was because of the massacre of civilians that the Nuer generals deserted to start the rebellion. They were later joined by Riak Machar when he escaped the tank attack on his house that killed 26 bodyguards.

    What has the head of police Pieng Deng Kuol found out?

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2015 10:29, by Ambago

    Dr Anna Ito, these guys were already set free by the court and it is only now that your party is officially abiding with the court’s decision.

    Are you now going to transfer the charges onto Paul Malong if you say that the charges are being dropped because the G-10 “had nothing to do with death or killing" in the 16-months old conflict?

    repondre message

  • 18 April 2015 14:40, by Chol Nyok

    It is making sense! One positive point can make great change. Return G-10 to reunite with SPLM/SPLA and subsequently make quick return to Addis Abba for peace talk, that will make sense. Just the beginning of wisdom!

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Of Peacekeepers and Pandemics 2020-04-03 07:43:49 By Jean-Pierre Lacroix The COVID-19 pandemic is also developing in countries marred by armed conflict. In an op-ed featured in Le Monde, the head of United Nations Peacekeeping, Jean-Pierre (...)

Can South Sudan parties fulfil army’s reunification 2020-04-01 09:13:05 By Tor Madira Machier Following the formation of South Sudan’s Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) last month, scepticism has remained as to whether the South Sudan (...)

Economic and social effects of Coronavirus 2020-03-29 17:02:15 Revealed global inequality or similarity? A natural observation on the economic and social effects of Coronavirus's non-location boundedness in the 21st-century globalized earth By Kujiek Ruot (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.