Home | News    Monday 16 February 2015

S. Sudanese army, rebels accused of forceful recruitment of child soldiers

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 15, 2015 (NAIROBI/JUBA) – South Sudan’s army (SPLA) and rebel forces are forcefully recruiting into military service boys as young as 13, a US-based rights body has revealed.

A South Sudanese army (SPLA) soldier holds his rifle near an oil field in Unity state on 22 April 2012 (AP)

In a new report issued on Monday, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said both parties in the South Sudanese conflict have recruited and used child soldiers, “which is a war crime when children are under 15”.

“Despite renewed promises by both government and opposition forces that they will stop using child soldiers, both sides continue to recruit and use children in combat,” said HRW’s Africa director, Daniel Bekele.

“In Malakal, government forces are even taking children from right outside the United Nations compound,” he added.

But South Sudan’s information minister, Michael Makuei described the report as “nonsense”.

“If you follow their reports, every now and then they are turned this way. Next time they are turned this way. That time they are turned this way. That is the type of reports they are writing,” said Makuei.

The minister said only one incident was registered in Unity state last year, but blamed the armed opposition group for recruiting children.

“And these children were rebel soldiers,” Makuei told reporters in the capital, Juba.

“We have sufficient people above age who want to get recruited because it is no longer a voluntary [but] a paid army,” he added.

REBEL FORCES ACCUSED

The report also accuses the armed opposition forces of having recruited and used many child soldiers in the ongoing conflict.

HRW says it has over the past months spoken to about a dozen children or young men who were under 18 or less when they fought in 2014, who were used by opposition forces in battles and for other purposes such as cooking and carrying water and ammunition.

“One 16-year-old in Bentiu described his terror when, only a day after being recruited with dozens of others in December 2013, he was given a gun for the first time by a rebel commander and forced to fight,” partly reads the report.

On a visit to Malakal in late January 2015, HRW said it collected about 25 accounts of child recruitment in the area from parents and other relatives, from children who had escaped recruitment or whose friends had been recruited, and from young adults who had also been forcibly recruited together with children.

Sudan Tribune was unable to get reactions from the rebels regarding the report.

In Malakal, it reportedly found that government forces, apparently especially those led by the former militia leader Johnson Olony, had recruited at least 15 children, some forcibly, within recent weeks, as part of recruitment efforts that appear mainly to be targeting adults.

“In some cases in Malakal, children voluntarily left the UN “protection of civilian (POC)” site to join forces led by Olony, a former militia leader from Upper Nile state who is currently fighting with South Sudan’s government,” said the US-based rights body.

A mother claimed her two sons, one 13 and one 14 voluntarily joined Olony in late December 2014 while another followed her 13-year-old son to a military barracks after he left the UN base.

“He refused to come home,” she reportedly told HRW researchers.

According to HRW, there are approximately 20,000 people are currently taking shelter at UN peacekeeping mission base in Malakal.

“You run to the gate into the POC when you see them,” a 14-year-old boy is quoted by HRW as saying.

Another woman also described how in January 2015 government recruiters allegedly captured her 13-year-old son at the riverside, where he was carrying goods for traders.

“South Sudanese children’s lives are being devastated by conflict, with children once again going to war instead of to school,” said Bekele.

“Both sides should stop recruiting children, and hold those responsible to account,” he stressed.

Makuei, however, dismissed all accounts provided in the newly-released report.

“How can you recruit a child so that you come pay him? We have no child soldiers but because these [HRW] people want to make sure that the two parties are tight together this is why all the times they write such nonsense,” said the minister.

"These are people who sit here [Juba] and write their report here. And they must write something so that their money continues to follow,” he added.

South Sudan government should ratify the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children and armed conflict, HRW recommended.

The protocol sets 18 as the minimum age for any participation in armed conflict.

South Sudan’s Child Act 2008 forbids the use of child soldiers, setting a minimum age of 18 for any conscription or voluntary recruitment into armed forces or groups.

Under the laws of war, the recruitment or use of children under 15 by parties to a conflict is a war crime, for which commanders can be held criminally responsible.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s legitimate request for UN assistance: the opponents their interior motives? (2-3) 2020-06-05 12:29:45 By: Trayo A. Ali To expose and preempt the plot these opposing forces to the UN are hatching, the tricks and tactics using, the ploys they are crafting and ulterior motives they harbour and the (...)

We neither Forget nor Forgive the 3 June 2019 Massacre 2020-06-04 06:41:26 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Today Wednesday, June 3rd 2020 comes as the great epic of redemption at the dawn of the third of June 2019, whose memory will remain immortal in the history book, (...)

The untold crisis of health system in South Sudan 2020-06-03 06:49:09 by Dr Jok Gang The South Sudanese war began in 1955 at the time when people of the region began to feel a lack of representation in the government and therefore the absence of the crucial (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.