Home | News    Monday 1 December 2014

S. Sudan president briefs elders on resolutions, reiterates commitment to peace

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 30, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir said his government remains fully committed to restoring peace to the country so as to avoid further loss of life.

JPEG - 13 kb
South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir (Photo: AFP/Nicholas Kamm)

“We are trying our best to end the conflict. We do not want this senseless war to continue to claim the lives of our people. Those who are dying – whether in defence of the constitution and the government or whether they are on the side of [former vice-president] Riek [Machar] and his group – are South Sudanese people and we do not want them to continue to die,” president Salva Kiir told Dinka elders Sunday.

The president said he had visited a military hospital in Juba earlier this month and was told by management that more than 1,888 wounded soldiers are being treated at the facility in the capital alone.

Kiir was attending the inauguration of a medical ward at Juba’s Giayeda military hospital, which was built through the contributions from the leadership of the South Sudanese army (SPLA) amid ongoing concerns over the urgency of the situation.

“You can see how this senseless war of Riek [Machar] has cost the country in terms of human lives and the destruction of the properties,” he said.

“This is why as a government we are trying our best to ensure that fighting stops. And this was why we accepted to sign the cessation of hostilities agreement because we do not want to fill the hospital with wounded soldiers,” he added.

Kiir was briefing elders, predominantly members of Bahr el Ghazal Dinka section, who had paid him visit to reassure him of their support, on recent resolutions from a leadership consultative meeting to discuss a peace proposal by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

Kiir told the group that he would not go against the resolution of the consultative meeting, adding that the leadership wanted to hear their views and to act on the will of the majority.

“When we called the consultative meeting with our members and other stakeholders, it was because the peace talks were about the affairs of the country and so [we] wanted to hear from the people. That was why the consultation was cross cutting. It involved other political parties, the civil society, the faith-based groups, the opinion leaders, youth, women and all those who are concerned,” he said.

“We wanted the resolutions of the consultative conference to be forwarded to the IGAD as the basis of negotiation, which are actually in agreement with the 25 August proposal,” he added.

Kiir said he was willing to accept the outcome of the consultative meeting as the as the basis for future engagement on the peace process.

“I was ready to accept the outcome of the conference and act upon whatever people were going to say and agree as the solution to the conflict,” he said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 1 December 2014 06:32, by Mi diit

    1,888 of your wounded soldiers in Juba hospitals alone not talking about the rest of your wounded and dying soldiers in other states. Nyankiir’s senseless war has really finished his soldiers and yet he wanted the war to continue until Ngundeng’s prophesies come to pass when Nyankiir will be no more. Tik yual kuoth ci mac de luuk. Sacrificial devil long-bearded man.

    repondre message

    • 1 December 2014 11:04, by wang

      Mi diit
      Reliable sources from my blood uncle that still servicing in this GENCIOD REGIME SIDE told me that over 40,000 Kiir’s militia were killed by Freedom Fighters…Kiir has no another option, only to accepts all those suggested by Freedom Fighters’ leaders

      repondre message

      • 1 December 2014 11:14, by Mr Point

        Kir started the war.

        It was only after Kiir’s forces killed Nuer civilians in the streets of Juba that there was a rebellion by Nuer Generals.

        It is only to be expected that Kiir has no solutions to the crisis he created. He can only issue empty denials.

        After Garang, he is a complete and hopeless failure. Why did liberation not bring peace?

        repondre message

  • 1 December 2014 06:40, by Lotodo Awino Odug

    We will assess the reaction of the rebels after taking Akobo and the surrounding villages from them.The rebels are having problem maintaining the thieves of white armies,some of them ran for their lives after realizing this was going to be a protracted war,we will force them to Ethiopia in a matter of one week operations.who ever will not surrender will be shown a quick way to hell.

    repondre message

  • 1 December 2014 08:25, by Kur William

    Very unfortunate to see these high figure numbers of wounded soldiers.1,888 should be wounded or killed in action of defending sovereign of South Sudan against real enemy Arab,anyway miscalculation and insane judgement are always destruction in South Sudan society.We know who will be accountable for.Go ahead Kirr,bring things under your control.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur ethnic attacks must be fully addressed 2021-05-06 04:16:34 Ahmed Elzobier A series of blunders have contributed to the tragic situation in Sudan’s West Darfur region and continue to expose civilians to violence, notably among them the premature (...)

Give credit they deserve 2021-04-30 21:13:25 Ngor Arol Garang While the visit of the government delegation to Chad had triggered debates and depictions in social media reflective of a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and (...)

South Sudan elections must be held on time 2021-04-18 07:30:37 The Government is bent on postponing the elections: a response to the statement of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs dated 14 April 2021. By Lam Akol The Press Secretary of the President of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.