Home | News    Thursday 5 December 2013

WFP reduces food aid in Congo due to shortage of funds

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 4, 2013 (KINSHASHA) - The World Food Programme (WFP) has announced it has been forced to cut food assistance for displaced persons in the North Kivu region of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) due to a shortage of funds.

“In the last six months funding shortages have meant that WFP has already had to halve the rations distributed to displaced people in North Kivu province, at a time when the overall food security situation is deteriorating in that part of eastern DRC”, WFP said on a statement on its website on Tuesday.

The UN agency said the reduction in food rations was “due to serious resource constraints”.

Kivu is the most volatile region in eastern Congo, with a cocktail of militia groups that until recently included the defeated M23 rebels.

The agency says it needs $75 million to continue to meet the humanitarian needs of displaced people in the region.

“To continue its operations in DRC over the next six months, WFP, which is funded entirely by voluntary contributions, urgently needs $75 million to see it through May 2014”, the agency’s statement said.

According to WFP, 500,000 “food- insecure” people will be affected by the shortages.

“The provision of daily hot meals to thousands of schoolchildren is also in jeopardy, as is life-saving nutritional support to some 180,000 malnourished children, pregnant women and nursing mothers across the country”, the agency said.

“We are very worried about the fate of thousands of people who depend on WFP food assistance”, said Martin Ohlsen, WFP’s representative in DRC.

International and regional efforts have shifted towards ending the conflict in eastern DRC, with the defeat of the M23 – considered the strongest of the various militia groups – raising hopes for peace.

On Monday this week, DRC’s president, Joseph Kabila, was in Kampala for talks with his Ugandan counterpart, Yoweri Museveni. In a communique released following the meeting, the two leaders said they had agreed to conclude the Kampala peace talks.

In October, the DRC government and the M23 failed to sign an agreement in Kampala after disagreeing over an amnesty deal for rebels. The DRC government said it could not sign an agreement with a rebel force that did not exist as the M23 had already dissolved itself.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur ethnic attacks must be fully addressed 2021-05-06 04:16:34 Ahmed Elzobier A series of blunders have contributed to the tragic situation in Sudan’s West Darfur region and continue to expose civilians to violence, notably among them the premature (...)

Give credit they deserve 2021-04-30 21:13:25 Ngor Arol Garang While the visit of the government delegation to Chad had triggered debates and depictions in social media reflective of a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and (...)

South Sudan elections must be held on time 2021-04-18 07:30:37 The Government is bent on postponing the elections: a response to the statement of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs dated 14 April 2021. By Lam Akol The Press Secretary of the President of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.