Home | News    Tuesday 14 August 2012

Gunmen attack Darfur Regional Authority in El-Fasher, seize 4 vehicles

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 13, 2012 (KHARTOUM) — A group of armed men attacked Monday the premises of two ministries of Darfur Regional Authority (DRA) in the capital of North Darfur and fled after seizing some vehicles.

JPEG - 100.3 kb
A view of the crowds gathered at El Negaa Stadium, El Fasher, for a public rally in support of the launch today, of the headquarters of the Darfur Regional Authority (DRA). (Photo UN)

The group attacked the Ministry of Environment, the Ministry of Youth and Sport and the headquarters of Peace and Reconciliation Commission. They unfurled a banner at the youth ministry where they wrote "the Headquarters of the Liberation and Justice Movement – Army".

Youth minister Hussein Abdel-Rahman and other officials had been taken hostage by the gunmen before to free them later after negotiations with North Darfur governor Osman Kibir. The attackers also carried out acts of sabotage in the two ministries and run away with four vehicles.

DRA chairman, Tijani Al-Sissi, in a press conference held in El-Faher after the incident condemned the attack and described it as "an attempt to terrorise the regional authority and its members."

He also pointed out that the gunmen are not affiliated with his LJM, in reference to the unfurled banner.

He further disclosed a member of the group that carried out the attack had joined the Movement after signing of the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD) in July 2011 after his returned from Chad where he was settled.

But when he failed to achieve "his own interests" he formed a group and claimed belonging to LJM, Sissi said.

He unveiled that they already discussed the issue of this group with the First Vice President Ali Osman Taha, the interior minister and the Sudanese army. Adding that security measures to protect the DRA premises pushed the group to attack the two ministries.

"This group wants to disrupt the peace process but the authority is determined to continue its efforts to achieve peace. Such groups can not break it down," he told reporters.

Sources close to the file, told Sudan Tribune under the cover of anonymity that this group decided one month ago to remove Al-Sissi from LJM leadership after expressing its frustration at the delay in implementing security arrangements.

They, at the time, attempted to take the control of DRA headquarters but were repelled by the security forces there. Al-Sissi during the press conference also mentioned this first incident.

Reached by telephone, Tadjadine Bechir Niam, DRA Minister of Reconstruction, Development and Infrastructure, and leading LJM figure termed the attack as a "dangerous precedent".

He said the governor and security officials in the state intervened to secure the release of the hostages but the assailants opened fire on the government troops. He further said that the security forces injured two gunmen and arrested five others.

He said the authorities are pursing the group and pledged to recover the four vehicles within hours.

He however warned that if the government fails to return the stolen vehicles the LJM would deal directly with the attackers.

The DDPD implementation remains highly troubled by the lack of financial resources as the government in Khartoum failed to provide the necessary funds to the regional authority which is tasked with its enforcement.

The former rebel group announced last week that they will resume, together with the Sudanese army, the implementation of the security arrangements as the army rejected to include a number of LJM fighters in the DDR process last March.

LJM chief contested the army’s decision and discussed the issue with President Omer Al-Bashir and the First Vice President before to reach an agreement over the need to review the criteria of the army in this regard.

A donor conference is scheduled in Doha next December.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 14 August 2012 08:31, by Northern Sudanese

    these are of course insurgents of the rebels, they want to scare away the new party because they took over their place.

    repondre message

    • 14 August 2012 11:17, by mohamed mahgoub

      No,this is normal outcome when sign adeal with a group and fail. To do ur obligaion accrodingly ,they go to take arms again u always start from zero ,NCP has a long history of dishonouring its word that is why we have a lot of problems everywhere in this country ,u don’t learn from ur mistakes!

      repondre message

      • 14 August 2012 16:30, by Northern Sudanese

        mohamed mahgoub
        what group are you on about? Minni Minawi was the president assistant, when they took him of power he went back to darfur to rebel again!

        repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 08:58, by Ahmado

    Good move by rebal indeed i know they will do something in come days and even they inform civilians vacate the city.

    repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 13:17, by jjb south

    for the civil population you better leave the area,b’se by next week thats going to be a battle ground & this criminal govt jihadist will come to kill & rape your women. the best escape route is to join the rebels & liberate yourselves jointly from terrorists in Khartoum.
    mohammed Ali your days are numbered, signs are clear.

    repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 14:32, by solider

    DO YOU KNOW WHY AMERICA GAVE UP ON ARAB SPRING IN SUDAN? JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICS OF THE DEMONSTRATIONS IN KHARTOUM. YOU WILL SEE ARAB PROTESTORS , BUT MOST OF THE POLICE ARE DARFOURIANS AND NUBA BUT THEY DIDN’T KILL ONE PROTESTOR NEITHER STOPPED OBEYING COMMANDS FROM THE GOVERNMENT .THIS SHOWED NUBA AND FOOR ARE CONFORTABLEY FINE WITH UNITY .THEY WANT NO SEPERATION FROM ARABS.

    repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 15:50, by Ahmado

    IF only 10 soliders of rebel can seize 4 vehicles what about ten thousand SPLA N heading to El-Fasher next week, civilians are full alert of the attack next week so them.

    repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 22:01, by solider

    i have some forigne friends , they told me they have no respect to ss. the world is heading to unity and you happy with separation.america,canada,europe, brazil..etc.all those nations have blacks whites latinos chiness living together. those rebels don’t know nothing about what is good for their ppl.they just want power to loot cash just like in south sudan

    repondre message

  • 14 August 2012 22:10, by solider

    JOOWAAA JUBBA

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Sudanese doctors who are growing basil around our country 2020-04-06 17:25:39 By Yasir Arman (1) Lord Kitchener stroked his heavy moustache and felt a little puzzled after restarting his smartphone and playing back the messages on that phone which had not worked since the (...)

COVID-19 Coronavirus: Unity for Survival in Africa 2020-04-06 14:49:16 By Arlene J. Schar and Dr David Leffler As the COVID-19 virus pandemic impacts peoples' lives worldwide, society shuts down in an effort to contain it. People find themselves isolated at home, (...)

Do Not Provoke a Sleeping Dog: Response to Dr Lam Akol 2020-04-04 14:35:55 By: Josephine Joseph Lagu Recently, Dr. Lam Akol Ajawin, leader of the National Democratic Movement, NDM has been at arms with the South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA), making media statements (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.