Home | News    Tuesday 17 April 2012

Sudanese opposition calls on South Sudan to withdraw from Heglig

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 16, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – Leaders of Sudan’s mainstream opposition parties have added their voices to calls for the immediate withdrawal of South Sudan from Heglig and cessation of hostilities between Khartoum and Juba.

JPEG - 28.7 kb
FILE - NCF leaders including Al-Mahdi and Al-Turabi

The National Consensus Forces (NCF), an opposition coalition including the National Umma Party of former Prime Minister Al-Sadiq al-Mahdi and the Islamist Popular Congress Party (PCP) of Hassan Al-Turabi, held its planned meeting on Monday and issued a statement highlighting their concerns and intended actions regarding the ongoing war between their country and neighbouring South Sudan.

Monday’s meeting, held over three hours at the headquarters of the Sudanese Congress Party (SCP) in Omdurman, Khartoum’s sister-city, was attended by all leaders of the NCF’s members except Al-Mahdi who was represented by the NUP’s newly-elected secretary-general Ibrahim al-Amin and his assistant Mariam al-Sadiq.

The NCF’s statement condemned South Sudan’s occupation of Heglig and called on Juba to withdraw its troops immediately. It also expressed rejection to the war, saying the conflict will derail efforts to resolve outstanding issues between the two countries through negotiations.

Already divided over how to best deal with the ruling National Congress Party (NCP), NCF parties found themselves in a tight spot last week when Khartoum declared mobilisation against South Sudan’s occupation of Heglig.

Haunted by the opposition’s previous war-time alignment to the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) in South Sudan during the Sudanese civil war from 1983-2005. Now the SPLM is the ruling party in newly independent nation. Before Sudan’s partition last year, some NCP officials made a number of threats to crackdown on "traitors" and what the describe as "the fifth column."

NCF’s members said in their statement that they had also agreed to reject the NCP’s accusatory approach of describing patriotic parties and individuals as traitors and a “fifth column”.

They also said that the NCP bears direct responsibility for failing to preserve the country’s territorial integrity as well as for the deteriorating economic situation due to its policies of focusing on the petroleum sector at the neglect of others.

NCF leaders said in their statement that they’re planning to meet again in a week time to discuss a detailed work plan on how to stop the war and improve their capacity “for comprehensive change of the regime and arrangements for the replacement.”

The absence of the NUP’s leader Al-Sadiq Al-Mahdi from the opposition meeting fuels speculations that he is still at odds with Al-Turabi and other figures despite last week’s assertions by the NCF’s chairman Farouq Abu Issa that their disagreements with Al-Mahdi are over.

The essence of Al-Mahdi’s discord with his allies in the NCF is regime change. Whereas Al-Turabi and other NCF factions remain committed to the goal of a radical revolution to topple the NCP, Al-Mahdi maintained a stance opposing what he sometimes calls “chaotic” regime change and advocating dialogue with the NCP.

NCF parties are likely to be under pressure due to the NCP’s war-time accusations and fears that the conflict with South Sudan will justify the government in increasing its crackdown on opposition activists.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 April 2012 10:55, by okucu pa lotinokwan

    You the Opposition Leaders when Abyei was invaded by NCP why are you very quite,because you fear that your master Omer Bashir will put all of you in jail,Heglig is not for sudan,forget about it,nor by force even never.

    OKUCU PA LOTINOKWAN

    repondre message

    • 17 April 2012 11:00, by Robot

      OKUCU PA LOTINOKWAN,
      You have answered them, i can’t comment anymore, but one thing is that they are marionettes...

      repondre message

      • 17 April 2012 11:07, by Michael Angelo

        These fake arabs don’t still know us really. Instead of withdrawing their troops from Abyei they asking our troops to be withdraw.

        repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 11:38, by Rising of the Sun

    We know the history of our nation; no opposition in the north (except SPLM-N) has ever been a friend. This is the same click around whom Sudan’s rule has rotated before & after 1956.
    We know very well that Sadiq AL-Mahdi was one of the leaders we fought both during Anya Nya and SPLM/A wars. Turabi, the brain behind islamism, NIF/NCP or whatever it’s called. Nothing new really. Same old enemies

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 11:53, by Hitler

    Look at this stupid jalabas! withdraw to where? Panthou is our land and better withdraw your self from Khartoum and move to saudi arabia where you are known to have come from. Shut up. Time is ticking we shall cliam khartoum as well.

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 11:53, by Rising of the Sun

    Same old enemies we know. What is new here?
    Turabi, Sadiq al mahdi, etc. The same ruling click before & after 1956.
    Say whatever you like, the truth will remain the same.
    Why don’t you go to Panthou and tell those SPLA soldiers to withdraw? SPLA has no representative in Khartoum to listen to your cry.

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 11:59, by Emmanuel Ajang Solomon

    Leaders, you are strongly wasrned to only wait and see what is going to happened in the next one month, if the Governemnt will not put you in all.

    I think whenever there is failure on their side they will try to say you are also with rebells or South Sudan forces, what we want is that also don’t be another problem to our brothers in, SPLM N and Blue Nile/Darfur, otherwise you will be given the Go

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 14:15, by Deng

    Breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    South Sudan acquires 15 rockets from China!!!!!!!!!

    capable of downing over 2000ft elevation warplans!!!!!

    SAF warplans are at great danger!

    SPLA oyee!!!!!!

    NO more looking up!! just concerntrate on SAF ground forces!!

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 16:09, by Alfredo christiani

    Dear opposition leaders
    Who are you to call for withdrawal of SPLA forces from Hegilig ?while you were the first enemies of South Sudan since independent of old Sudan in 1956. Omer Bashir is far better than you guys because he signed CPA with southerners in 2005. Shut up or go to hell.

    repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 16:29, by E. Defense Forces
  • 17 April 2012 16:40, by E. Defense Forces
  • 17 April 2012 16:50, by Tambura

    Sadiq and his brother in law Turabi call who to withdraw? They should go back to Yamen or where their father came from. fAKE ARAB JARAB ....

    repondre message

    • 17 April 2012 19:38, by Dinka Aliap Chawul

      Haa! Guys dont blame oppositions,they’re in a very complicated situations like interogation to comfess,what da say in that podium is not what the mean coz its a force recruitment to condemn.they had great knowledge on Basir intention,and da intention is to make more wars so that life is add to current govt,which is not their interest but doz opp figures soon b arrested shd war prolong no mata w@.

      repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 20:33, by E. Defense Forces
    • 17 April 2012 21:12, by Born-to-Rule

      E. Defense Forces,

      I am sure many of southerns don’t understand Arabic. Just saw the video of southern army lieutenant giving a speech however, many could understand what language he was using.

      FYI - there are million of southerns who were not born in Sudan when it was one country and only understand English only. Can someone translate these speeches?. Thanks, and best regards.

      repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 20:59, by Born-to-Rule

    These guys in the north are bunch of murders, hire killers. They have killed south Sudan intellectuals in the last 50 year and that’s a fact. South Sudan should not listen to killers. In the last 20+ years they have killed 2.5 millions southerns. These people will stop at nothing. Khartoum goons need to be erase from this planet.

    repondre message

    • 17 April 2012 21:35, by zulu

      Born to be ruled,

      Hahahaha. You made me laugh generousely. I am an African and I dont give a damn as to what is arabic. For that reason, I only listen to english or any other african programs, music or news. I am like you. Let those who listen to garbage, Arabic, do so and intepret. So long,

      repondre message

  • 17 April 2012 23:36, by Waucity

    Why didn’t you ask Northern Sudan to withdraw from Abyei?...Splm is very popular because it support human respect, dignity and so on..As for you that carry knives 24/7..Nobody want to be with you and nobody wants to share with you...lol..

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Implications of al-Bashir’s regime dismantling 2019-12-12 21:08:55 By Alhadi A. Khalifa The enactment of the law of dismantling the regime of Omar Albashir on 28 November 2019 represents a turning point in the march of the Sudanese revolution given its (...)

Security Arrangements in Sudan: Achilles heels of peace and democratic transformation 2019-12-10 05:47:59 By Elwathig Kameir This article is intended to act as an eye-opener for all the Sudanese political forces. It aims to shed light on the huge challenges that will be faced by the December (...)

Egypt final push to secure zero-sum water-share agreement 2019-12-09 14:11:32 By Ermias Hailu After Egypt’s failure to integrate Eritrea to its territories by the end of the second world war, due to Emperor Haile Selassie’s superior diplomatic skills, the then Egyptian Pan- (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.