Home | News    Saturday 18 October 2008

ICC prosecutor to indict Darfur rebels within weeks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 17, 2008 (NEW YORK) — The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said on Friday he will present a case within weeks for the indictment of some rebel commanders accused of attacking peacekeepers in Sudan’s Darfur region.

The court is currently considering chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo’s case for the indictment of Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir and has already indicted a Sudanese minister and an allied militia leader for war crimes.

"In a couple of weeks I will present my third case against some rebel commanders who were attacking African Union peacekeepers," Moreno-Ocampo told a Council on Foreign Relations symposium, sponsored by Hollywood actors Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

Moreno-Ocampo has been investigating a 2007 attack on an AU base in Haskanita, Darfur which killed 12 peacekeepers and was blamed on rebels.

A U.N. report said vehicles used in the attack bore the initials "JEM," which could have stood for the Justice and Equality Movement, a powerful rebel group.

Khalil Ibrahim, leader of the group, said in July that if any of his guerrillas was indicted they would be handed over to the international court for trial. But differents sources accused a splinter faction of the killing.

Sudan, which has signed but not ratified the treaty establishing the Hague-based ICC to try suspected war criminals, has refused to hand over the Sudanese minister or the militia leader indicted last year.

Asked how confident he was that the court would approve an arrest warrant for Bashir, Moreno-Ocampo said: "The case is in the hands of the judges, I have requested before 12 arrest warrants — I got 12. I am pretty confident I have a solid case."

Bashir is accused of orchestrating a campaign of genocide in Darfur, a desolate region of western Sudan, from 2003.

International experts say more than five years of fighting there has killed 200,000 people and driven 2.5 million from their homes. Sudan puts the death toll at 10,000.

Jolie, a goodwill ambassador for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, told the symposium that "peace is placed before justice, often instead of justice.

"We let those who destroyed their countries decide the future for their countries," she said. "There is no enduring peace without justice."

(Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 18 October 2008 11:15, by Akol Liai Mager

    Who ever ordered an attack on AU-UN forces or civillians targets should be apprehended and sent to Hague to face justice regardless of whatever position he/she hold in the bush or Khartoum presidential palace.

    I believe Darfur movements are ready to fully cooperate with ICC even if it involved top leaders such as Khalil or El Nur.

    Just must prevail.

    repondre message

    • 18 October 2008 14:44, by tayeb M. Alhassan

      If Mr. Ocambo really mean it, we will see who is going to be the first. Mr. Ocambo mentioned that he has an attested proof including car plates of who was responsible for the attack against peace keepers in Darfur. I say, he has to add also all plates of destroyed or captured cars in last May Omdurman assault because they are of the same origin.

      repondre message

      • 19 October 2008 16:22, by Timdor

        Kool down man,Mr.Ocampo will bring every creature caught red handed in Darfur crisis in his desk.Showing the number plates JEM’s destroyed vehicles in last may Omdurman attacked is an easy task for him to do but this will not prevent Bashir being taken to Hague for trials.

        By Timdor

        repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Security Arrangements in Sudan: Achilles heels of peace and democratic transformation 2019-12-10 05:47:59 By Elwathig Kameir This article is intended to act as an eye-opener for all the Sudanese political forces. It aims to shed light on the huge challenges that will be faced by the December (...)

Egypt final push to secure zero-sum water-share agreement 2019-12-09 14:11:32 By Ermias Hailu After Egypt’s failure to integrate Eritrea to its territories by the end of the second world war, due to Emperor Haile Selassie’s superior diplomatic skills, the then Egyptian Pan- (...)

Defending kleptocrat is like defending devils before God 2019-12-09 12:34:30 By Zechariah Makuach Maror On Friday 6. Dec. 2019 the Dawn newspaper published an article in it Vol.4 Issue 1111 written by a clumsy writer called Peter Wek Ayom Wek titled "response to (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.