Home | News    Tuesday 14 October 2008

Sudan president calls for national solution to Darfur crisis

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 13, 2008 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir called on Darfur rebel groups to “resort to peace” and work on “reconciliation and healing”.

JPEG - 10.9 kb
Sudan’s President Omer Hassan al-Bashir (AP)

Al-Bashir who was addressing the opening session of the Sudanese national assembly also announced that the ‘People of Sudan’ initiative will be officially launched on Thursday.

The Sudanese head of state also said that the initiative will be coordinated with the Qatari mediation efforts and the joint mediation between the United Nations and the African Union, led by Djibril Bassole.

“Preliminary results of those contacts show that we are in the right direction towards peace” he said.

Al-Bashir who faces a possible arrest warrant by the International Criminal Court (ICC) said that Sudanese judicial institutions are capable of carrying out their duties saying the move by The Hague based court “increase our responsibility to achieve justice and the rule of law”.

In mid-July the ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo announced that he is seeking an arrest warrant for Al-Bashir.

The ICC’s prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder. In early October ICC judges have officially started reviewing the case in a process that could possibly drag on to next year.
The Sudanese head of state hailed the position of regional organizations which backed him in his conflict with the ICC.

“Our position is clear and categorical in refusing to deal with it [ICC]” he said.

Al-Bashir also stressed that the elections would take place on schedule in accordance with the terms of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that ended the civil war between the North and South.

However he acknowledged that there are “technical requirements” including the census results, demarcation of the border North-South borders, implementing security arrangements for the three peace deals in the South, Eastern and Darfur.

Last month Luka Biong, the southern Minister for Presidential Affairs, told Reuters it would not be feasible to hold the elections because of heavy rains and logistical problems.

But the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) made it clear that they want to hold the elections on time, though they appeared willing to accommodate requests by their Southern partners.

The composition of the elections commission which will oversee the process has been a source of dispute between the two sides causing a delay in its creation.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 14 October 2008 12:39, by kuur Deng

    Calling for peace is the definet solution to Darfur problems.Beshir should lay down the possible solution to solve the whole Sudan problems and not only in darfur.I think enough is enough,you persue the ICC.

    View online : No way out

    repondre message

  • 14 October 2008 13:42, by Mr Point

    The Sudanese persident should show the example in working on peace.

    He must disarm the Janjaweed.

    Last week the Aegis Trust reported that Janjaweed from Maalia and Rizeigat are massing outside of Muhajeriya. The rights body also said the 300-strong militia destroyed the village of Sinet, together with several smaller villages in its vicinity.

    Are there any reports of National Government action to prevent crimes in Muhajeriya?

    repondre message

  • 14 October 2008 16:59, by Majok junior

    Yes Bashir,it’s the only solution to avoid ICC arrest warrant process in Huge otherwise your head will be cut off as soon as possible,you need to solves all the problems of sudan as whole not Durfur in particular,implementation of CPA is also needed by all southerners.
    BY majok Junior.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan elections must be held on time 2021-04-18 07:30:37 The Government is bent on postponing the elections: a response to the statement of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs dated 14 April 2021. By Lam Akol The Press Secretary of the President of (...)

Wonders never cease in South Sudan 2021-04-12 17:54:40 By Lul Gatkuoth Gatluak The firing and appointment of the chief of General staffs in South Sudan is another reckless procedure as far as military reshuffling is concerned. The service lifespan (...)

On the legitimacy of President Salva Kiir 2021-04-04 17:15:11 by Dr Akec Khoc On March 24th 2021, Nhial Deng Nhial, Minister of Presidential affairs stated that President Salva Kiir is not imposing himself on the citizens. In response to this statement, I (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.