Home | News    Wednesday 17 September 2008

Sudan Tribune report on ICC warrant ‘false’: Official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 16, 2008 (KHARTOUM) – A Sudanese official today dismissed a report on Sudan Tribune showing excerpts of the International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant for president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir.

JPEG - 28.7 kb
Ali al-Sadiq

Last week the ICC released a 113-page heavily redacted version of the warrant which among other things exposed the role of 2nd Vice president Ali Osman Taha in mobilizing the notorious Janjaweed militias during the Darfur conflict.

But Sudanese foreign ministry spokesman Ali al-Sadiq described the report as “false”.

“The report is baseless” Al-Sadiq told the daily Qatari Al-Sharq newspaper.

“We have a summary of the application. It does not contain any allegations against another Sudanese official” he added.

The ICC has initially released a summary in July while promising a public application later that omits references to some of the sources, witnesses and other portions of the arrest warrant.

A Sudanese journalist in Khartoum told Sudan Tribune that security officers banned newspapers from including the report in Tuesday’s edition.

“The government was totally shocked. Sudanese officials declined to respond to questions on the content of the report including the Justice Minister” said the journalist who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“A gloomy atmosphere prevailed when it [the report] came out. They gained some confidence boost after news that Britain and France will support a suspension of Al-Bashir’s indictment. Now they feel that more officials may be prosecuted in the future and not just the president” he added.

The ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo announced in mid-July that he requested an arrest warrant for Al-Bashir.

Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder and accused Al-Bashir of masterminding a campaign to get rid of the African tribes in Darfur; Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa

The ICC judges are still deliberating on whether to endorse the applications in a process that could take a few more months.

In the meanwhile Arab and African nations are scrambling to have the UN Security Council (UNSC) invoke Article 16 which allows the council to suspend the ICC prosecutions in any case for a period of 12 months that can be renewed indefinitely.

On Sunday the Guardian news paper said that London and Paris are quietly backing the suspension. However Sudanese officials said that they have not been formally notified of the intentions of both countries.

The issue is likely to come back in the spotlight during the UN General Assembly meetings which start this week. The African Union Peace and Security council will also meet in New York during the same time period.

Sudan has not ratified the Rome Statute, but the UNSC triggered the provisions under the Statute that enables it to refer situations in non-State parties to the world court if it deems that it is a threat to international peace and security.

(ST)

The redacted application is avaibale at http://www.icc-cpi.int/library/cases/ICC-02-05-157-AnxA-ENG.pdf

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 September 2008 16:33, by John Deng

    The dismissal is weird - it is proved wrong just be looking at the ICC web site. Perhaps the NCP should get a lawyer in the court - then thy would know what is going on.

    Section that mention Vice President Taha also mention others.


    294. AL BASHIR’s central role in the recruitment of the Militia/Janjaweed reflected their importance to his plan. And he used his subordinates for the same purpose. Many senior members of AL BASHIR’s Government participated in recruiting and mobilizing Militia/Janjaweed – including Second Vice President Ali Osman Taha, Director General of NISS Salah Gosh,Presidential Assistant and NCP Vice President Dr. Nafie Ali Nafie, Defence Minister and former Interior Minister Abdelraheem Hussein, who is also Special Representative of the President in Darfur, Head of Military Intelligence and Deputy Chief of Staff General Awad Ibn Auf,and State Minister for Humanitarian Affairs (formerly Minister of State of Interior)
    Ahmad Harun.

    My friends we should be worried - these are pretty bad guys, and won’t give up without big fight. What if the next year election boot them out power? They’d lose all protection of rulers of Sudan. Will they ever let that happen? Maybe UN will delay the court while we have election we for waited so long.

    In peace.

    repondre message

    • 18 September 2008 00:05, by Deng Ateny Lueth

      I Think people are suffering some mental stalmate. why can we not stop taking about something people on both sides don’t want to find a lasting solution for it. darfur issue has covered the screens of all media faciltiies.being tv, computer or satelites. i think if darfurian politicians don’t want the suffering of their innocent they would have united already to fight one common enemy of their people. if that had taken place, everyone by this time should be focusing different strategies that will ecounter ncp plan during the next year election.

      repondre message

      • 18 September 2008 17:14, by Timdor

        Shame on you British and france to block Al bashit’s indictment.My stomach pained when i saw this crazy lobbying your government is after it.Did you hear how many people have died and those displaced?
        Please,Please,reverse your decision and act again base on humanity.

        By Timdor

        repondre message

      • 19 September 2008 08:57, by miss JOOK

        hey Deng, do you have any idea of how many years it takes to fight the Arabs?
        it took more than 20 yrs for Mr John Garang Mabior and his team to only achieve the CPA.
        make sure you are not intoxicated before you ask Darfurians to unite and fight aginst the evil, nasty careless arabs.

        repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Implications of al-Bashir’s regime dismantling 2019-12-12 21:08:55 By Alhadi A. Khalifa The enactment of the law of dismantling the regime of Omar Albashir on 28 November 2019 represents a turning point in the march of the Sudanese revolution given its (...)

Security Arrangements in Sudan: Achilles heels of peace and democratic transformation 2019-12-10 05:47:59 By Elwathig Kameir This article is intended to act as an eye-opener for all the Sudanese political forces. It aims to shed light on the huge challenges that will be faced by the December (...)

Egypt final push to secure zero-sum water-share agreement 2019-12-09 14:11:32 By Ermias Hailu After Egypt’s failure to integrate Eritrea to its territories by the end of the second world war, due to Emperor Haile Selassie’s superior diplomatic skills, the then Egyptian Pan- (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.