Home | News    Monday 7 April 2008

Sudan demands the arrest and prosecution of the ICC prosecutor

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 06, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) should be brought before a court of law, a senior Sudanese official said.

JPEG - 13.6 kb
Sudan’s U.N. ambassador Abdel-Mahmood Mohamad

Sudan’s U.N. ambassador Abdel-Mahmood Mohamad told the daily Al-Rayaam that Luis Moreno-Ocampo “is jeopardizing the political settlement in Darfur”.

“He should be tried in court” Mohamad said.

The judges of the ICC issued their first arrest warrants for suspects accused of war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur region in early May.

The warrants were issued for Ahmed Haroun, state minister for humanitarian affairs, and militia commander Ali Mohamed Ali Abdel-Rahman, also know as Ali Kushayb. Sudan has so far rejected handing over the two suspects.

The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) circulated a notice for the arrest of both suspects in mid-2007.

The UN Security Council (UNSC) which asked the ICC to investigate Darfur crimes under a Chapter VII mandate in resolution 1593 three years ago, appears reluctant to force Sudan’s compliance.

Ocampo has been meeting extensively with world officials to press them on the extradition of Haroun and Kushayb but has had little success so far.

Sudan’s UN envoy said that Ocampo is “politically bankrupt” and described him the “enemy number one of peace in Darfur”.

This is not the first time Mohamad issues public rebukes of Ocampo. His sharp criticism of the ICC prosecutor has taken a more personal nature during the course of the year.

Last May the Sudanese official demanded that the UN restricts Ocampo’s visits to New York to meet with officials in the world body as well as permanent representatives.

Mohamad said that Ocampo’s movements “are nothing but a ridiculous political play trying to provoke countries against Sudan”.

The prosecutor of the ICC will brief the UNSC in June on the status of investigations and Sudan’s cooperation. He has already informed the council of Sudan’s non-compliance last December.

Ocampo has expressed his frustration with lack of pressure on Sudan by world community to hand over suspects. He also revealed that he has been approached by a number of countries suggesting that he should try and indict “lower level perpetrators, easier to arrest than Ministers or powerful militia leaders”.

Sudan has not ratified the Rome Statue, but the UN Security Council triggered the provisions under the Statue that enables it to refer situations in non-State parties to the world court if it deems that it is a threat to international peace and security.

International experts estimate 200,000 people have died in the conflict. The Sudanese government says 9,000 people have been killed.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 April 2008 14:53, by Zacharia Okila Vincent Abalu

    The prsecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) should be brought before a court of low, a senior Sudanese official said Sudan,s UN ambassdor Abdel -Mohmood Mohamad told daily Al-Rayam that Luis Moreno-Ocampo is jeopardizing the political settlement in Darfur He should be tried in court Mohamad said.But in real sense he should be the one to be taken to the court and followed by two suspect Harun and the senior janjawed guy Kushaib.why is sudan refuse to hand over the two suspect their must samething behind it? becouse they know that when they hand over this guys expose their secret they have been doing together in Darfur.
    Zachariamoi

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan elections must be held on time 2021-04-18 07:30:37 The Government is bent on postponing the elections: a response to the statement of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs dated 14 April 2021. By Lam Akol The Press Secretary of the President of (...)

Wonders never cease in South Sudan 2021-04-12 17:54:40 By Lul Gatkuoth Gatluak The firing and appointment of the chief of General staffs in South Sudan is another reckless procedure as far as military reshuffling is concerned. The service lifespan (...)

On the legitimacy of President Salva Kiir 2021-04-04 17:15:11 by Dr Akec Khoc On March 24th 2021, Nhial Deng Nhial, Minister of Presidential affairs stated that President Salva Kiir is not imposing himself on the citizens. In response to this statement, I (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2021 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.