Home | News    Tuesday 12 September 2006

Sudan’s Dafur military action illegal - Annan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Sept 11, 2006 (UNITED NATIONS) — U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday warned Sudan its military bombardment and troop deployment in the Darfur region was illegal and predicted further disasters unless U.N. troops were deployed.

Kofi Annan

But Sudan’s envoy, in a U.N. Security Council debate, defended Khartoum’s action as part of a peace deal. And Khartoum’s allies from the Arab League and the Islamic Conference refrained from endorsing a U.N. force.

Annan, in a blunt speech, evoked the 1994 genocide in Rwanda by asking, "Can the international community, having not done enough for the people of Rwanda in their time of need, just watch as this tragedy deepens?

"This is no time for the middle ground of half-measures or further debate," he told the council.

Annan said thousands of Sudanese troops had been deployed in Darfur, in "clear violation" of a peace agreement signed by the government and one rebel group in May.

"Even worse, the area has been subjected to renewed aerial bombing," he said, "I strongly condemn this escalation. The government should stop its offensive immediately."

The Security Council in August authorized up to 22,500 troops and police for Darfur, providing the Sudan government agreed, which it has not. It also approved beefing up the struggling African Union force during a transition period.

The government’s rejection, Annan said, could lead to "yet more death and suffering, perhaps on a catastrophic scale."

Neither those who decide such policies, nor those who carry them out should imagine they will not be held accountable, he warned for the second time in a week.

Sudan, which was invited to send a high-level representative, was represented by a U.N. envoy, Yasir Abdelsalam, who said Khartoum was adhering to the May peace agreement, which called for an integration of rebel and government troops.

6,000 TROOPS TO DARFUR

Abdelsalam said 6,000 troops would be deployed by Sept. 30 and another 10,000 by Dec. 31. He condemned the council’s Aug. 28 resolution 1706 "as a hasty measure" that amounted to a "one-way dialogue."

But U.S. envoy William Brencick said Annan’s comments should "resonate all the way from this chamber to the presidential palace in Khartoum."

Responding to Abdelsalam, Brencick said the "one point he left out was a stated commitment by the (government) to address the humanitarian situation in Darfur by consenting to the deployment of U.N. forces."

"How many people need to describe the horror of the situation in Darfur or how much worse does this situation have to get" before Sudan got the message, he asked.

Brencick said he was circulating a presidential statement to allow the council to speak with one voice and tell Sudan to "work with us, because the situation in Darfur cannot stand."

Russia and China, which abstained on the resolution, said they favored a U.N. force but stressed the need for Khartoum’s consent.

The Darfur conflict erupted in February 2003 when non-Arab rebels took up arms against the government. In response, the government mobilized Arab militias known as Janjaweed, who have conducted a campaign of murder, rape and looting.

In the past few months, various rebel groups and bandits have committed similar atrocities. Fighting, disease and hunger have killed some 200,000 people and driven some 2.5 million into squalid camps.

In an apparent reference to Sudan’s allies, Annan said his voice was not enough and that leaders in Africa and beyond had to exert their influence. The council, he added, had to issue "a strong and uniform message."

(Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


In memory of Kerbino Wol 2020-06-29 08:17:47 By Robert Portada On 5 June 2020, Kerbino Wol announced that he was standing in solidarity with fellow citizens deep in the sacred land of South Sudan and launching the official manifesto of the (...)

Sudan: Dynamics of change and resistance of political parties to change  2020-06-26 19:15:55 By: Hussein Arko Menawi When we look at the political timeline in Sudan it gives us strong evidence, how the political future in Sudan is critical, bleak and confusing. It is also a good (...)

Sudan’s legitimate request for UN assistance. Who the opponents are and what their ulterior motives? (3-3) 2020-06-26 12:08:29 By: Trayo A. Al Ali Trayo Keep the focus on: Regardless of any inadvertent diversion punctuates the course of this discussion, it is extremely important for the reader to strickly keep the focus (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2020 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.