Home | News    Friday 29 July 2005

France promises 3.5 million euro boost for Sudan peacekeepers

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

NYALA, Sudan, July 29 (AFP) — France will donate an extra 3.5 million euros (4.2 million dollars) to peacekeeping forces in western Sudan, the French foreign minister announced before visiting the world’s largest refugee camp in the strife-torn Darfur region on Friday.

Rwandan soldiers belonging to the African Union wait to board a plane to be dispatched to the Darfur region of Sudan, April 2005. (Reuters).

Philippe Douste-Blazy made the announcement at the headquarters of the African Union peacekeeping mission in Nyala where French general Marc Delauney briefed him that bandit activity was undermining efforts to stabilise the region wracked by civil war since February 2003.

"The next months will be important in showing if the extra personnel that the mission requires can lower insecurity and improve the political situation," General Delauney, part of a European group advising the African Union, told the foreign minister.

The African Union ambassador in Darfur, Burkinabe’s Jean-Baptiste Natama, said the peacekeeping force would need to be increased from 4,000 to 7,000 by the end of August, but the union lacked the resources.

France has so far funnelled 80 million euros (96 million dollars) to Darfur through the African Union.

Douste-Blazy later travelled by muddy tracks to the world’s largest refugee camp, Kalma, which houses 100,000 people and is 13 kilometres (8 miles) long and 5 kilometres (3 miles) wide.

A humanitarian worker at the Kalma camp, which houses various ethnic groups and was the scene of riots in May, said lawlessness was a greater problem than food supplies and health.

"The situation is very tense and the refugees can’t go more than a kilometre from the camp without the risk of falling victim to robberies and rape, in the case of women, particularly by the Sudanese police," he said.

The war between rebels and government forces supported by Jenjaweed Arab militias has claimed up to 300,000 lives and displaced 2.4 million people, sparking a humanitarian crisis in neighbouring Chad.

Following the US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice’s visit to Sudan on July 21, the Sudanese government called for negotiations under the auspices of the African Union to be brought forward.

A ceasefire agreed in April 2004 had been generally respected in recent months despite sporadic outbreaks, peacekeepers said.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why Sudanese should cautiously celebrate the political declaration? 2019-07-20 05:47:52 By Luka Biong Deng Kuol As Sudanese have every reason to celebrate the political declaration signed by the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) and Transitional Military Council (TMC), one may (...)

Change in Sudan requires consensus between civilian and armed forces 2019-07-20 05:47:42 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Cleansing the Effects of the Systematic Demolition of the State of Sudan Over the past 30 years requires a minimum consensus agreement between the components of the (...)

Who can unlock the current impasse in Sudan? 2019-07-01 06:44:52 By Luka Biong Deng Kuol Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular uprising on 19th December 2018, the protesters have made history. Not only have they unseated one of the longest-serving (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.