Home | News    Saturday 27 August 2016

Floods destroy crops in South Sudan’s Jonglei state

August 24, 2016 (BOR) - Jonglei state authorities said they expect low harvest this year, as many villages have been affected by floods in the current three counties of Bor, Twic East and Duk.

JPEG - 51 kb
A photo taken on 4 September in Jonglei state capital Bor showing people affected by recent floods there (ST)

In a bid to increase food production in Jonglei state to curb hunger, the state government encouraged the people to cultivate since the year began.

The government owned farm, of more than 1,000 feddan by size, has reportedly been destroyed by floods.

“In agriculture, we think that the economy of South Sudan would be boosted through agriculture. And we in Jonglei state, since I took over, our concentration is on agriculture as a means of increasing livelihood, particularly food production," said Jonglei state governor, Phillip Aguer.

He added, "This year, many people cultivated, and myself, I led by example with more than 1,000 feddan".

According to the state government, efforts put in by the state farmers had been marred by the floods that began in July. Little would be harvested this year as a result.

“Unfortunately, agriculture this year, will not be successful, not because people have not tried their efforts, but because the forces of nature which are not under control came in, and most of the farms in Jonglei state, starting from Makuach payam up to Duk, are affected by floods, which have negatively affected the area negatively,” the governor continued.

Only two payams: Kolnyang and Anyidi in Bor, which were not affected by the floods, will probably have good harvest this year, if all goes well.

The state population would still be food insecure, and many of them will still be in need of humanitarian support in terms of food aid for survival.

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) had been one of the leading agencies, through its partners, that provided food and none food supplies to the residents of Jonglei before and after December crisis.

In the recent visit, US secretary of state, John Kerry, announced $138 million as part of the US’ plans to support South Sudan on humanitarian ground.

(ST)