Home | News    Saturday 30 May 2015

W. Equatoria youth group deny links with pro-Machar rebels

May 29, 2015 (JUBA) – The leader of a new resistance movement in South Sudan’s Western Equatoria state has denied their alleged links to the armed opposition led by former vice-president, Riek Machar.

PNG - 51.2 kb
The map of Western Equatoria in red

Wesley Welebe Samson said his group, locally known as the Nyarango Boys, was not behind the recent insurgency in Mundri county.

He also dismissed claimed that his resistance movement was part of the Revolution Movement for National Salvation (REMNASSA) that also claimed responsibility for what occurred in Mundri.

A former lawmaker, Welebe said his groups of mainly area youth want to protect farmers in greater Mundri from the pastoralists who have invaded the area, continuously destroying farms in the area.

He described the pastoralists as “spoilers” of the peaceful coexistence among the various communities in Mundri county.

“I am not [part of the] SPLM/A-In-Opposition as claimed by the opposition”, the group’s leader told Sudan Tribune by phone Friday.

He said the Nyarango Boys movement was agitating for peace in the county.

Welebe lauded president Salva Kiir after the latter recently issued an executive order calling for the removal of cattle from their territory.

He claimed the recent killing of Mundri’s executive director was what temporarily sparked off chaos and instability in the county.

The former legislator, however, called on the people of greater Mundri to support the government of South Sudan and live in peace.

Our message to the government and president of the Republic of South Sudan Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit is that we are for peace and not against the government, the group’s leader assured on Friday.

He further disclosed that they were ready to dialogue with the government, but on condition that his boys would be fully protected.

“The boys are ready and will be handed over to the government and some of them to be recruited to the national army, police, national security and other organised forces in the country such that they are part of security that will protect people,” said Welebe.

FORMATION OF MIDWEST STATE

He also called on the president to consider the proposal to establish Midwest state, which was tabled in his office some years ago, since the Yambio administration had “failed” to solve local problems.

He said his group would not in any way fight the national army or government.

The leader of Nyarango Boys further refuted allegations that his group is linked to one Lasuba and that they had no connection with his group, which only aims at protection the farmers in the area. He urged the government to treat his case differently.

He advocated that the army forces in Mundri be changed with disciplined ones who and understand needs of the local population.

REBELLION OR NOT?

The South Sudanese army spokesperson, Col. Philip Aguer announced on Monday that a new rebellion had been formed in Mundri county of Western Equatoria state.

“There is a new rebel movement in Western Equatoria state. Security reported that somebody called Charles Balogore under Wesley Waluba” leads the rebellion”, he said.

But the state government dismissed reports of a rebellion as "not true" and “one sided”.

“I stand by our earlier story that it was local youth who reacted to the looting and destruction by SPLA unit in Mundri on Friday 22 May 2015 and took control. The youth were angry at the assassination of their executive director plus random gunfire perpetuated by the army then,” information minister, Charles Kisanga told Sudan Tribune.

(ST)