Home | News    Sunday 28 July 2013

S. Sudan: Plan unveils $30m support fund

July 26, 2013 (JUBA) - Plan International, one of the world’s leading child rights organizations has unveiled a $30m development support package for South Sudan over the next three years.

JPEG - 71.8 kb
Plan International CEO Nigel Chapman (R) speaks at a news conference in Tanzania November 27, 2012 (dewjiblog)

Nigel Chapman, Plan Chief Executive Officer, said the funds would be channeled to support the country’s education system, mainly targeting girls.

The donation will reportedly also focus on youth employment and humanitarian support, among others.

“We are committed to working with the Government of South Sudan to defend the right of marginalised children, especially girls to ensure that they access education and to also eliminate child poverty,” Chapman told reporters in the capital, Juba.

Plan, its CEO said, has been working with government to develop policies seeking to curb high incidence of violence against children, especially teenage pregnancies and child labour.

“This [collaboration] has led to a decline in cases of child abuse in the country,” he said.

Since 2006, Plan has reportedly invested more than $30m in development projects within South Sudan, focusing on improving community health, education, water and sanitation, emergency response support and peace-building initiatives.

So far, nearly 500,000 children have reportedly benefitted from Plan’s intervention in the country. In addition, more than 200,000 children and their families have reportedly benefitted from a series of Plan’s in-field activities.

“Of these 81,000 were children and youth, mainly drawn from the displaced population, returnees and vulnerable host communities,” he said, adding that an additional 62,000 men and 60,000 women have also benefited from its funding.

(ST)