October 8, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – President Omer Al-Bashir praised a Russian initiative to bring, before the Security Council, Sudan’s compensation for the damage caused to oil facilities in Heglig/Panthou during the 10-day occupation by the South Sudanese army last April.
Sudan and South Sudan accused each other of the damage to the pipeline and central processing facility in Heglig/Panthou following the seizure of the oil producing area by the South Sudanese army on 10 April 2012.
The African Union and United Nations called to investigate the claims. Both countries claim sovereignty of the area but it has been administered by Sudan for the during of the peace deal that led to South Sudan’s independence last year.
South Sudan seceded with many issues, including oil and border demarcation, unresolved.
Speaking before the National Assembly on Monday, where he was urging lawmakers ed to endorse the agreements recently signed with South Sudan, Bashir welcomed a Russian proposal lodged before the UN Security Council urging to adopt a resolution supporting Sudan’s demand for compensations.
"We applaud the role of the Russian Federation, and the proposal of its representative to UN Security Council on the need to compensate the government of Sudan and its partners from all countries as a result of the losses they suffered during the attack on the Heglig area," Bashir said.
The Russian Ambassador to Khartoum met last week with the Sudanese oil minister Awad Al-Jaz to discuss the Sudanese demand for financial compensation for Sudan’s losses, a matter that Juba contests.
At the time, Juba contested the accusations saying the oil installations were hit by the Sudanese artillery and aviation. But Khartoum said the explosions were under the facility power and other installations.
UN Security Council resolution 2046, calls for "an impartial fact-finding effort to assess the losses and economic and humanitarian damage, including to oil facilities and other key infrastructure, in and around Heglig."