Home | News    Wednesday 3 February 2010

Govt approves recruitment of over 15000 Southern Sudan

By Ngor Arol Garang

February 2, 2010 (KHARTOUM)- Sudan’s government of national unity has approved recruitment of 15,000 people from war ravaged region of South Sudan in accordance with power sharing protocol in the comprehensive agreement.

JPEG - 20.8 kb
Folks line up to register to vote in Abyei (Gration blog)

The National Civil Service Commission has revealed that there are about 15,000 vacancies for southern Sudanese within ministries in the Government of National Unity need to be filled urgently.

During press conference held in his office today in Khartoum, Professor Machar Kachuol, who heads the National Civil Service Commission in the government of national unity, said twenty percent quota stipulated in the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) has been allocated to Southern Sudan.

The twenty percent quota represents about 13 to 15 thousand job opportunities for south Sudan but government has having a concern of where will qualified people to fill these position going to be found in the south.

This has been the problem which contributed to the delay of the recruitment, he said adding that his commission had identified and sent 1000 applicants to some ministries.

Although processes for their placement have started, some of the departments in some ministries have shown reluctance to recruit; he said adding that he has personally talked to some of the head of departments to consider accepting and speedy recruitment of these people who have already been identified.

The Sudanese official said the Council of Ministers meeting held on January 6 had discussed the issue and resolved that all departments should recruit these people.

Resolutions from this meeting have been sent to all head of the ministries and departments; we are now waiting their response to this instruction so that these people are employed, he adds.

Machar also revealed that about 600 qualified southern Sudanese from 1000 applicants for jobs in the National Civil Service have not taken up their duties due to difficulties created by various departments in the different ministries.

We were supposed to announce the second recruitment phase but people from southern Sudan are hesitating, because majority say are tired of "come tomorrow", he said.

However, he said this program should not be related to other programs that have failed in the past. People are committed and government is determined, he adds.

"I say this because of the past impression, when they heard that the President of the Republic had endorsed the first batch, people realized that the program was serious and they submitted applications before we could announce them. I have received about 2000 applications so far but I suspended the process because I want to see that the first 1000 applicants are recruited so we can review our statistics to see how many vacancies are left in each department. After that we can announce the second batch," he said.

According to the twenty percent quota, southern Sudanese are supposed to be employed in twenty-eight federal ministries with the exception of the Ministry of Defense and the Interior Ministry. Southern Sudan has its own army and its own police force, in accordance to the CPA.

(ST)