Home | News    Sunday 16 December 2018

South Sudan pledges to share findings of rape investigation with United Nations

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Residents of Bentiu Protection of Civilians site pictured on 15 February 2016 (UNMISS photo)
December 15, 2018 (JUBA) - South Sudanese government pledged to share with the UN Commission on Human Rights the findings of its investigation into the recent sexual attacks outside Bentinu of Northern Liech State in South Sudan

On 30 November, the international medical non-governmental organization Médecins Sans Frontihères (MSF) reported that at least 157 women and girls have so far sought treatment for sexual violence suffered at one of its clinics.

The attacks took place between 19 and 29 November 2018 when the women were intercepted by military and civilians in plain clothes while the victims were walking from their villages along roads near Nhialdu and Guit on their way to Bentiu to collect humanitarian aid.

The sexual violence was unanimously condemned by national, regional and international instances as the country and the international community have been involved in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement ending a 5-year civil war in South Sudan.

The denial of the assaults by the local authorities was seen as a negative signal by those who hope the peace implementation would create suitable conditions for healing and reconciliation.

However, a delegation of the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan that arrived in the country shortly after the attacks said they discussed the matter in Juba with the South Sudanese officials who pledged to cooperate with them.

"The Commission heard from Government officials in Juba last week, that the Government had set up a team to investigate what occurred in Bentiu and the Government gave assurances that they would share and corroborate their findings with the Commission," said a statement issued on 14 December.

The UN Human Rights Council-mandated experts will present the findings of their investigation in its report to the Council in March 2019.

Accountability for conflict-related sexual violence has been a core element of the Commission’s work given how widespread and systematic the use of sexual violence has been by the warring parties in South Sudan.

Over 65 per cent of women and girls in South Sudan reportedly have experienced sexual violence at least once in their lives, according to the Commission.

"The viciousness of these horrific attacks in Bentiu on so many women is shocking, given that these atrocious acts occurred just as people’s hopes for an end to violence are starting to surface following the peace deal. Accountability must now follow," said Barney Afako, member of the visiting experts.

In his latest report to the UN Security Council, Secretary-General António Guterres said UNMISS investigations into the sexual attacks found that elements from the government and SPLA-IO forces were responsible for the assaults.

" Of the remaining 30 cases, which involved 12 minor girls, 6 were attributed to SSPDF, 8 to the pro-Machar SPLM/A in Opposition and 1 to the South Sudan National Police Service, while the remaining 15 cases have not yet been attributed," Guerras said in a progress report to the Council on 10 December.

During its meetings with the Government, the Commission also raised the recent case of a young South Sudanese girl whose virginity was auctioned off publicly, including on Facebook, to the highest bidder, and the need to improve the status of women in South Sudan.

"A holistic transitional justice programme will provide South Sudan with a vital opportunity to address the status of women in South Sudan and their prospects for the future", said Commission Chairperson Yasmin Sooka.

From 4 to 12 December, the three-person Commission visited South Sudan, Sudan and Ethiopia. A member of the human rights body visits Uganda from 15 to 19 December.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 16 December 2018 04:17, by jur_likang_a_ likan’g

    Give us a brake. When will this evil actions stop. It has been on going since the birth of SPLM/A in 1983. No one has been punished for that and this indicates it is legitimised by the system in goverment. This government has failed the citizens, It should actually go.

    repondre message

  • 16 December 2018 06:11, by Eastern

    But the former drug addict, Lam Tungwar, recently reported no rape of women in Bentiu took place. If the report to be shared with the UN is what Lam alluded to, it’s useless. If the regime indeed found women were raped, Lam Tungwar should stop playing the SPLM and SPLA...!

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Try Dong Samuel Luak or release him now 2019-01-22 15:59:31 By Nhial T. Tutlam, PhD* Exactly two years ago, my cousin and mentor Dong Samuel Luak, was abducted from Nairobi, where he was living as a refugee. Mr Dong Samuel Luak is a human rights lawyer (...)

What options are available for President Bashir of Sudan? 2019-01-20 21:43:26 By Luka Kuol Sudan is one of the few African countries whose citizens pioneered post-independence popular uprisings in 1964 and 1985 that forced the ruling military regimes to step down. The (...)

Tasgut Bass is the buzzword and a slogan of the Sudanese uprising 2019-01-20 21:38:57 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the background of the progressive escalation of the Sudanese popular revolution, despite the use of the regime of Omer al-Bashir of the lethal (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Ethnic Murle politicians say enough to cattle raiding 2018-12-28 09:32:00 December 27, 2018 (JUBA) - Murle political leaders in Buma state have vowed to end the practice of cattle raiding and child abduction by individuals in the community. Jodi Jonglei, who is also (...)

CEPO: South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA): Stop politics of split and focus on R-ARCSS implementation 2018-12-26 09:53:29 26th December, 2018. South Sudan Opposition Alliance internal leadership change frication is disturbing and demoralizing public opinion. The big question CEPO is raising, will SSOA be a strong (...)

Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.