Home | News    Thursday 15 September 2016

SPLM-IO blames government over renewed clashes in Wau

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

SPLA soldiers stand to attention at a containment site outside Juba on April 14, 2016 (AFP Photo)

September 14, 2016 (BAGARI) – South Sudan’s armed opposition (SPLM-IO) has accused government forces of attacking their base in Western Bahr el Ghazal state last week.

Fighting erupted in Western Bahr el Ghazal state between opposition loyal to former First Vice-President, Riek Machar and government troops in parts of Wau town.

Tingo Peter, a SPLM-IO member in Western Bahr el Ghazal state admitted that the renewed fighting which occurred ahead of the state governor’s proposed peace talks was started by government forces after they attacked the SPLM-IO position.

“The government aggression on our position is jeopardizing the peace plan and will future more take us to square one, we cannot keeps talking about peace with the government while the same government is not respecting its plans,” he told Sudan Tribune.

“This attack carried out by government forces have clearly pointed its failure to strike on the voice of negotiation dialogue,” he added.

Tingo said government mobilized its forces and attacked the SPLA-IO position, but they were repulsed as their forces mainly live in their defensive positions.

Eyewitness said government soldiers moved from their positions with heavy weapons.

Meanwhile, a person was killed by unknown gunmen at Hai Kreish in Wau town on Friday morning, while another sustained injuries in a separate incident on Saturday.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


ARCSS and HLRF: last or lost chance for peace in South Sudan? 2017-12-14 05:02:15 By James Okuk “Tell people in power that something they tried didn’t work as expected” – Peter Ross. “A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation” – Edmund (...)

Response to Bona Malual statements on Abyei 2017-12-11 20:24:24 By Hon Arop Madut Arop As I was reading the last proof of my new book on the Ngok Dinka history, which is currently with the printers, somebody sent me a recorded voice message purportedly given (...)

Is Jieng Council of Elders responsible for South Sudan crisis? 2017-12-10 17:59:57 By Samuel Maker Amuor Silence means acceptance! It takes less than a minute for one to come across Jieng council of elders’ meddle on national affairs as they claim. Either through social media (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.