Home | News    Friday 2 September 2016

Kiir meets head of UN mission ahead of Security Council visit

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 1, 2016 (JUBA) - The South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and the head of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the country, Mageratte Leoj met on Thursday ahead of a visit to the capital, Juba of the Security Council delegation next week.

JPEG - 23.7 kb
President Salva Kiir addresses the nation at the South Sudan National Parliament in Juba, November 18, 2015. (Photo Reuters/Jok Solomon)

The closed door meeting, officials said, focused on the peace implementation.

"We discussed a number of issues on the situation in South Sudan and [...] how the cooperation was going on between the mission and the government in term of following up to the latest resolution that the [Security] Council adopted regarding the United Nations mandate," the UN mission head told the state-owned SSBC Thursday,

"I hope it was useful also for His Excellence [President Kiir], it was certainly useful for me," she added.

John Andruga, a ministry of foreign affairs official who attended the meeting, said the government warmly welcomes the high level Security Council members vising Juba.

"The President have assured the [UN Secretary General] Special Representative that the government is looking forward to welcoming them to Juba so that they can be able to see for themselves the reality of the situation in Juba," he said.

According to the official, members of the Security Council would also be able to get a clear picture of the security situation in the South Sudanese capital "because if you are in New York, you will be able to know exactly what is happening here."

Last month, the Security Council passed a resolution authorising the deployment of 4,000 strong force with a mandate to use force to ensure smooth implementation of the shaky peace agreement that ended 21 months of war between South Sudan army and the armed opposition faction (SPLM-IO) led by his former deputy Riek Machar.

The accord suffered a setback in July when fighting erupted between rival forces in Juba, forcing Machar to flee for his life.

The South Sudanese leader has referred the decision to accept or reject deployment of the regional protection forces to parliament, although no date was set for deliberations.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 September 10:17, by Dengda

    The reality is now unfolding, can Kiir say no single army will be deploy in the country in the face of UNSC or will he accept and change his mind later? This the trust we want to known as citizens, so that we will not waste our precious times demonstrate on the street in unforgiving weather, instead we should have demonstrated on the issue of concerns such, skyrocketing, prices, fuel scarcity gunm

    repondre message

  • 2 September 19:20, by Mr Point

    Will the visiting UNSC personnel be safe from rape or intimidation by SPLA or Militia ?

    Will they be protected by UNMISS forces , who have a poor history of providing protection ?

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s Civil Disobedience: Africa’s latest "Hashtag Revolution"? 2016-11-30 06:14:21 by Suliman Baldo November 29, 2016 “Because of the nature of the dictatorship we are under, you are forced to embrace the use of social media, . . . It’s not secure to try and use the tactics (...)

IGAD : why not a South Sudanese head? 2016-11-29 05:38:32 By Amb. Dhano Obongo Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), in Eastern Africa Community was formed in1996 succeed the Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD) (...)

SLM Al-Nur to U.S. Booth: ’Negotiations by Khartoum are illusory’ 2016-11-28 15:46:50 ATTN: U.S. Special Envoy for Sudan and South Sudan; Ambassador Donald Booth by Abdul Wahid al-Nur Sir, Your calumnious editorial scapegoating me as the primary obstacle to peace in Darfur is so (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.