Home | News    Wednesday 31 August 2016

Court convicts 60 South Sudanese soldiers for murder

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 30, 2016 (JUBA) – A military court has convicted 60 soldiers of murdering civilians and for looting during last month’s fighting in the South Sudanese capital, Juba.

JPEG - 23.3 kb
South Sudanese SPLA soldiers are pictured in Pageri in Eastern Equatoria state on August 20, 2015 (Photo AFP/Samir Bol)

The spokesperson for the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) Brig. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang said President Salva Kiir would decide the fate of the 60 convicted soldiers.

“60 soldiers have been charged and found guilty of various crimes including looting, killing of civilians and other misbehaviours,” Lul told Sudan Tribune by phone Tuesday.

He, however, said no soldier was charged with rape contrary to widespread claims of abuse against women and girls allegedly committed by forces loyal to President Kiir.

Last month, a compound hosting humanitarian workers was attacked when forces loyal to former first vice president Riek Machar fought street battles with those allied to Kiir.

“We don’t have evident about rape as reported by UNMISS [UN Mission in South Sudan] or any other persons because nobody came forward,” Lul further revealed.

According to the army spokesman, the court martial, formed in July by orders of the army chief of general staff, listened to the charges and found only 60 of the soldiers out of the more than 100 accused, guilty of looting markets, homes and killing civilians.

"Once the president approves the court ruling, the sentences will be implemented," he stressed.

A number of human rights entities as well as the United Nations had in the past accused South Sudanese soldiers of gross human rights violations, allegations the army denies.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 August 2016 09:22, by hamil

    They should be severely punished in public or executed by a firing squad in public for those who do not know that deliberate targeting of civilians is a war crime.But I doubt if any of those could get a sentence the government has from day one since we got independence been too soft on the military who have committed hideous crimes even when they were known, this will continue until a real government of the people is established in South Sudan

    repondre message

  • 31 August 2016 10:59, by Mr Point

    How can Kiir punish 60 foot soldiers and not find any officers accountable for failing to keep discipline?
    Which officers allowed their men to murder civilians - or, did they encourage them as happened in December 2013?

    repondre message

  • 31 August 2016 11:39, by chuol

    Lies after lies! This is absolutely nonsense from the so-called SPLA spoksLies Lul Ruai Koang. Were those who have looted the whole of Juba including UNWFP relief store only 60 soldiers? It will makes sense when one of their commanders such as Bol Madut Akot is convicted.
    Only dead souls can believe this white lies and deception. God is watching them!!

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Wedding in Juba - How can you tell if a bridegroom works for Nilepet? 2017-02-24 05:25:41 By Deng Kiir Akok The Nile Petroleum Corporation is a national Oil and Gas Corporation, which engages in oil exploration, production and marketing. Famous for its abbreviation Nilepet has been a (...)

Bashir’s congratulation for Trump remains double-edged sword 2017-02-21 08:47:41 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This is a note to the readers of this article about my use of the phrase double-edged sword. It means that Omar al-Bashir’s Speedy congratulation offer to Donald Trump (...)

South Sudan: Why ’NO’ for peace and ’YES’ for war 2017-02-20 20:45:12 By Tor Madira Machier The region and the International community has been on a campaign in a bid to end the civil war in South Sudan right after its inception in December 2013, yet the very (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) 2017-02-08 21:49:09 Sudan Democracy First Group Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) War in the Blue Nile: Militias in the hunt of refugees and displaced population Introduction Throughout its rule, (...)

More refugees flee to Uganda than across Mediterranean 2017-01-25 09:15:39 January 25, 2017 Uganda welcomed more refugees last year than the total number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean into Europe. “Europe should learn from the way Uganda and other (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.