Home | News    Wednesday 24 August 2016

Over 250 people killed in South Sudan’s Jonglei state: official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 23, 2016 (BOR) - About 280 people were killed in the fighting which occurred in Duk county of South Sudan’s Jonglei state last week, an official told Sudan Tribune.

JPEG - 102 kb
Jonglei state governor, Phillip Aguer speaks during the independence occassion July 9, 2016 (ST)

Among those killed were 10 civilians, 23 government soldiers and 250 rebels, according to official figures released by the office of the state governor, Phillip Aguer.

The incident has reportedly forced hundreds of civilians to flee from Pajut to Poktap towards Twic East county.

“People had been forced to run away and retreated back to Poktap. Second is the looting of their properties by the attackers and the killing of innocent civilians”, said Aguer

“Among the dead, who were killed in Pajut, there are women, there are children and the number in total is 33. 23 are soldiers and 10 are civilians that include business people, include women and that is the bad side of the war”, he added.

The governor said he expects the numbers of rebels killed to rise by the time the search ends.

“The SPLA [Sudan People’s Liberation Army] has defeated the attackers, and they [rebels] lost heavily. Unfortunately those who are dying are sons and daughters of South Sudan on both sides. The forces of Riek Machar had left 250 dead, and the number may be more, search has not been completed”, Aguer told Sudan Tribune.

Calm has reportedly returned to the area, despite the fighting that occurred on 19 August, amidst calls by authorities for civilians to return home and resume their normal activities.

Meanwhile, five other people were reportedly killed between Panyagoor and Poktap, by suspected Lou Nuer fighters who allegedly came on a mission to loot cattle on 20 August.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 24 August 2016 17:34, by choldit

    This info is too good to be true for the govt of SS to kill 250 SPLA-io but only while 23 of them killed. How about the yesterday report that put SPLA io causality on 101 and SPLA ig at 20 people given by the same governor of unconstitutional Bor state, Philip Aquer Panyang? What will be today causality mr Panyang. Today is a scary day.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Wedding in Juba - How can you tell if a bridegroom works for Nilepet? 2017-02-24 05:25:41 By Deng Kiir Akok The Nile Petroleum Corporation is a national Oil and Gas Corporation, which engages in oil exploration, production and marketing. Famous for its abbreviation Nilepet has been a (...)

Bashir’s congratulation for Trump remains double-edged sword 2017-02-21 08:47:41 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This is a note to the readers of this article about my use of the phrase double-edged sword. It means that Omar al-Bashir’s Speedy congratulation offer to Donald Trump (...)

South Sudan: Why ’NO’ for peace and ’YES’ for war 2017-02-20 20:45:12 By Tor Madira Machier The region and the International community has been on a campaign in a bid to end the civil war in South Sudan right after its inception in December 2013, yet the very (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) 2017-02-08 21:49:09 Sudan Democracy First Group Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) War in the Blue Nile: Militias in the hunt of refugees and displaced population Introduction Throughout its rule, (...)

More refugees flee to Uganda than across Mediterranean 2017-01-25 09:15:39 January 25, 2017 Uganda welcomed more refugees last year than the total number of refugees and migrants crossing the Mediterranean into Europe. “Europe should learn from the way Uganda and other (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.