Home | News    Saturday 20 August 2016

South Sudan security blocks media coverage of Machar’s escape to Congo


August 19, 2016 (JUBA) - South Sudan’s security operatives have imposed restriction on media coverage of successful escape into Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) of the armed opposition leader and the first vice president, Riek Machar.

JPEG - 16.7 kb
Reporters Without Borders has condemned the seizure of copies of 11 newspapers in a week by Sudanese security officials (AFP)

Machar left South Sudan over fears for his safety after government forces mounted a military offensive hunting for him after he fled the capital Juba when fighting broke out between 8-11 July. President Salva Kiir later sacked him as vice-president and replaced him with Taban Deng Gai, one of his senior officials in his movement before falling out with him after failing appointment of oil ministry.

South Sudanese government which had been on the offensive, trying to hunt him down in the bush where he had been hiding said on Friday that it was not aware of Machar’s whereabouts.

“[No] one knows where he is, whether he left South Sudan or still inside the country. Those who say he left the country should be the ones you should talk to,” information minister, Michael Makuei Lueth, told reporters on Friday in Juba.

He was reacting to media reports quoting United Nations sources in the Democratic Republic of Congo and at the headquarters of the United Nations in New York about the departure of Machar from South Sudan and his subsequent arrival to Congo on Wednesday.

Minister Lueth also said the changes, in which the president appointed Taban Deng Gai in place of Machar was an internal matter of armed opposition leadership and it was up to them to decide whether or not to welcome Machar and resume his position at the presidency as the first vice president when he returns.

“The government has nothing do with the changes in leadership of the SPLM-IO, whether Riek Machar comes back or not, that is an internal issue of the IO,” said Lueth.

Media covering Machar’s departure from the country where troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and his army chief of general staff, Paul Malong Awan, tried to kill Machar in attacks since last month in and around Juba, have been questioned by the security personnel to say the source of information

Observers and security analysts are keen to underline that the motive of restricting media coverage about the departure of Machar from the country is to deny the public knowledge of his departure from the country.

Machar’s departure is viewed a failure by government forces instructed to hunt him, many of whom claimed he was barricaded and it was a matter of time before he could surrender or get killed.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 20 August 00:33, by dinkdong

    Poor govt! You just let him escaped for the second time.

    repondre message

    • 20 August 14:21, by Mr Point

      Ha ha South Sudan security blocks coverage of Machar’s escape. But we are here, and we know that Kiir’s attempt to kill hi partner in the transitional government has failed. Kiir is incompetent when you look at the number displaced, at the security situation, at the economy and food prices. Machar helped Abyei more than Kiir ever did.

      repondre message

  • 20 August 01:22, by DHARCHEP

    Dingdong, you are right brother and I agree with you. Salva Kiir has problem and he is the one instigating this incident. If Salva Kiir was really serious, he should not let Riek Machar go again for the third time. I totally loss my control and I don’t want to really my trust on Salva Kiir anymore. Coming of Riek Machar to Juba is another death row like what happened in recent month of July, 2016.

    repondre message

    • 20 August 03:46, by Malakal county Simon

      Dr Machar is here to stay...... He was created by God and only God can take his life When his turn comes, like every one else!!!! We need people’s like Dr Machar who have love for this country to save South Sudan from total mess of kiir failed leadership since no one has a ball to speak about it apart from Dr Machar.

      repondre message

      • 20 August 03:49, by Malakal county Simon

        People’s like STD has no has grass root support leave alone the SPLM_IO moment which he was dismissed from for a breaching the organisational code of conduct through coup!!!!

        repondre message

        • 20 August 03:59, by Malakal county Simon


          Eventually, STD has already surrendered the keys provisions of the compromise peace agreement.... He want to scrap both two army and demilitarisation of Juba in addition, he succumbed to accept the illegal unilateral creation of 28 States.... Clearly, he does not speak for SPLM_IO, and that being said, he will need to step aside because that’s position, is for SPLM_IO!!

          repondre message

          • 20 August 04:04, by Malakal county Simon

            My advice to STD/traitor, he need to declare his full allegiance to his Master unwanted kiir before things get too late or he will end up as the looser soon!!!!

            repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)

Chemical Weapons Use in Darfur: The World walks away 2016-10-18 22:12:17 By Eric Reeves Despite overwhelming evidence of Khartoum’s use of chemical weapons in the Jebel Marra region of Darfur (western Sudan), the international community seems to be quietly walking (...)

Resources grabbing in the Nile Basin 2016-10-17 22:57:47 MISUSE, MISMANAGEMENT AND MISINVESTMENTS By Mohamed S. M. Yassin Ting Fa Margherita Chang Luca Iseppi Abstract. Historically the Nile constituted the major source of life for million of (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.