Home | News    Friday 12 August 2016

Uganda, Sudan not part of regional forces deployment to South Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 11, 2016 (JUBA) – Uganda has revealed that its troops will not take part in the proposed deployment of a third party regional force to Juba, the capital of South Sudan, Ugandan media has revealed.

JPEG - 27.3 kb
An unidentified man sits in the gun turret while leading a convoy of armoured vehicles from both the South Sudanese government forces and the Ugandan People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) in the streets of Jonglei capital Bor on 19 January 2014 (Photo: AP/Mackenzie Knowles-Coursin)

The development was announced by the Uganda’s Chief of Defense Forces, General Katumba Wamala while interfacing the Parliamentary Committee on Defense and Internal Affairs on Thursday afternoon.

General Katumba who did not give reasons told legislators that Uganda and Sudan have decided to “excuse” themselves from the deployment that was called for in the summit of the IGAD heads of state and governmet Heads of Summit in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last week.

Last week, Sudanese officials in Khartoum said that Bashir had refused during IGAD meeting on the South Sudan to participate in the African force to be deployed in the South Sudanese capital.

The 27th African Union assembly in Kigali, Rwanda late last month resolved that Uganda, Sudan, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Kenya should contribute a regional force to South Sudan which following the renewed fighting in Juba.

“The UPDF and SAF are not going to deploy in South Sudan. We had a meeting and decided among ourselves not to deploy but the rest of the countries can go ahead,” General Katumba was quoted in local Ugandan media.

It is not clear what brought about the latest change for Uganda and Sudan to pull out from the deployment in Juba.

Kampala is seen to be in support of the mainstream SPLA under President Salva Kiir while Khartoum is accused to be supporting the armed opposition faction under the leadership of former First Vice President, Riek Machar.

Only Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda are going to send their troops to the world’s youngest nation.

General Katumba however added that both Uganda and Sudan are going to be readily available to provide support in other areas including the use their facilities like airports in the two countries.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 12 August 2016 19:54, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

    Many thanks to Ug chief of Defense Forces & Sudan for their wise decisions! We expectedly look forward at Rwanda, Kenya & Ethiopia to make a U-turn against the invasion of RSS. Hornbill’s pain is everybody’s pain! God’s eyes are open against pretending invaders.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Strategic choice between bribery and right to self-determination for Saharawi people 2017-01-22 22:03:05 By Beny Gideon Mabor, Esq Western Sahara known as Saharan Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) was Spanish protectorate in the Maghreb region of North Africa. It is situated north of Kingdom of (...)

Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: A catch 22 situation 2017-01-22 08:22:12 By Elwathig Kameir 1. The Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) issued a press statement, on Jan. 17, declining a US initiative (of which I have seen a copy) for the delivery and (...)

Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims against BNP Paribas 2017-01-22 08:13:14 Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims of Khartoum's atrocity crimes brought against BNP Paribas in U.S. Federal District Court (filed January 20, 2017) By Eric Reeves The civil suit (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.