Home | News    Friday 12 August 2016

Sudan negotiating delegations accuse each other of attempting to torpedo peace talks


SPLM-N negotiating team meet withthe AUHIP ahead of direct talks withthe government on 9 August 2016 (Courtesy Photo of SPLM-N)

August 11, 2016 (ADDIS ABABA) - Sudanese government and SPLM-N traded accusations over alleged attempt to collapse the peace talks as they failed for the second day to agree on the agenda of the humanitarian access and the cessations of hostilities in the Two Areas.

Following the signing of the Roadmap Agreement by the opposition groups on Monday, the Sudanese government and SPLM-N negotiating delegations agreed in a consultation meeting held on Tuesday 9 August to resume talks based on a draft framework agreement they had endorsed 80% of its elements during the previous rounds in the past three years.

In accordance with the draft framework agreement, the parties would discuss first ways to open humanitarian corridors to reach civilians in the war affected areas of the Blue Nile and South Kordofan states.

However on Wednesday, the government said the security arrangement should top the agenda of cessation of hostilities talks, pointing that in line with the Roadmap Agreement the national dialogue is one of the items of the peace process together cessation of hostilities and the humanitarian access. But the SPLM-N objected saying the priority is for the humanitarian access to the civilians in the conflict zones as it was agreed previously.

In a statement released on Thursday, SPLM-N Negotiating Team Spokesperson Mubarak Ardol said the government delegation backtracked from the framework agreement and walked outof the negotiating table.

Ardol further said the deputy head of the Sudanese government negotiating team Emad Adawi instructed the delegation to withdraw from the meetings , "causing the collapse of the negotiations".

"We hold the government and its delegation responsible for this irresponsible behaviour, " he further said.

The two parties Wednesday formed a committee tasked with the reconciliation of the two texts. But seemingly they failed to reach a compromise.

Sudanese Government Delegation Spokesperson Hassan Hamid denied the "irresponsible statements" of the SPLM-N spokesperson and accused him to "seeking to torpedo the negotiations ".

"Ardol falsely spoke about the withdrawal of our delegation. Now, I came out from inside the negotiating room to refute his statement," Hamid said. he further added that negotiations are now under way and the two delegations are inside the room".

The government spokesperson went further to accuse the SPLM-N of backtracking of the agreement to reconcile the two texts.He further insisted that "the draft framework agreement is not compulsory".

The two delegations are expected to resume meetings on Friday.

Sources in the venue of the talks say the Chief Mediator Thabo Mbeki intervened and prevented the failure of the talks.

Discussion of Darfur conflict didn’t commence on Thursday as scheduled. The difficulty to determine the areas where the rebels have fighters reportedly is one of the reasons behind the delay.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

Khartoum dialogue process aborted sustainable peace in Sudan 2016-10-26 21:56:53 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The October 10 2016 extravaganza of the Wathba Works Final Conference Ceremony brought nothing to the Sudanese people but Bashir remaining further on the Helm. He tried (...)

Funding our Universities to Deliver on their Mandate: The Case of University of Juba 2016-10-25 21:41:52 *By John A. Akec UNIVERSITIES AND NATION-BUILDING “Before going to war, Haifa must speak”, Israeli politicians are apt to telling their audience. This is specially so, when showcasing the (...)

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.