Home | News    Tuesday 9 August 2016

UN chief welcomes S. Sudan’s acceptance of regional forces

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 7, 2016 (JUBA) – The United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon has welcomed South Sudan’s acceptance of a regional protection force to help subdue the ongoing violence in the country.

JPEG - 49.5 kb
The United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon handshake with the President of the Republic of South Sudan, Salva Kiir at Presidential Palace, J1 in Juba capital on February 25, 2016 (UNMISS photo)

Ki-moon, in a statement, called on all South Sudanese parties to uphold their responsibility to protect civilians and to demonstrate their commitment to a peace deal which was signed in August 2015.

The UN chief also welcomed the communique issued at a summit of heads of states and governments of the regional bloc (IGAD) Plus countries in Ethiopia, which proposed deployment of forces.

“He [Ki-moon] commends the IGAD leaders for their decisive action and welcomes the Government of South Sudan’s acceptance of a regional protection force,” a spokesperson for the UN chief, said.

“Mr. Ban called on all South Sudanese leaders to set aside their personal differences and demonstrate their commitment to the implementation of the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan, which remains the only viable path to ending the crisis, he added.

Last month, deadly clashes between South Sudan’s warring factions in the capital, Juba killed over 270 people and displaced more than 40,000 civilians.

During the clashes, UN compounds and civilian protection sites managed by the UN Mission in South Sudan were also attacked.

According to a preliminary UN investigation into the recent fighting and its aftermath, South Sudan government security forces allegedly carried out killings and rapes, and looted and destroyed properties.

The UN expressed concerns that conflict and instability has spread to previously unaffected areas in the Greater Equatoria and Greater Bahr-El-Ghazal regions of South Sudan, despite last year’s peace deal.

The UN secretary general further decried the continued fighting in the country and called for an immediate end to the hostilities.

“He [Ki-moon] is outraged by the continued reports of serious human rights violations and abuses, including widespread sexual violence against women and young girls, committed by armed men in uniform,” he said, calling on all parties to uphold their responsibility to protect civilians and demanded that they take immediate steps to hold accountable those responsible for these “despicable” crimes.

The UN chief, however, reiterated his commitment to work with all South Sudanese, IGAD, the African Union and international partners to implement the recommendations of the East African summit.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)

Dissolution and formation of the Cabinet - 2013 2018-04-20 08:00:00 Amb Telar Deng The events that led to the 2013 dissolution of cabinet can be traced back to the deep mistrust that fermented back in 1991 when leaders failed to close ranks. After the 1991 (...)

The Darfur issue remains in oblivion 2018-04-20 07:36:49 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The victims and survivors of the atrocious crimes in the Darfur region where very few in the world cares for their plight continue feeling trapped, no way out but at the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)

Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.