Home | News    Tuesday 2 August 2016

Renewed clashes a violation of S. Sudan peace deal: UN

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 1, 2016 (JUBA) – The United Nations has expressed concerns over the renewed clashes between South Sudan’s warring factions in the Equatorian and parts of Upper Nile areas, saying these continued actions are in violation of the peace agreement, which the country’s main rivals and other parties signed in August last year.

JPEG - 55.3 kb
Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) jump off the back of a truck while on patrol in the capital, Juba, following the December 2013 outbreak of violence (Photo: Reuters)

“The UNMISS [UN mission in South Sudan] calls on all parties to return to their bases and allow the movement of humanitarian aid to affected areas,” it said in a statement.

According to the world body, tensions persisted in the capital, Juba, but no firearms were found in a search operation conducted at its protection of civilian site over the weekend.

Meanwhile, the United States has warned those taking actions threatening the peace, security, or stability of South Sudan, and those responsible for attacks on civilians or United Nations premises, saying they may be subjected to sanctions under UN Security Council Resolution 2206 (2015).

The US, in a statement issued Saturday, also condemned in the “strongest” terms the continued fighting in Equatorian region and other areas of South Sudan in recent days.

“We call for an immediate halt to combat operations and full compliance with the ceasefire declared on July 11 and in the peace agreement,” said Mark Toner, the deputy spokesperson of the Department of State.

The Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD) and the African Union issued similar concerns on the matter.

According to the U.S, the “short-sighted” actions of South Sudan’s leaders in recent weeks have exacerbated an already intolerable humanitarian crisis as large portions of the country are facing emergency levels of food insecurity.

“The people of South Sudan should have the opportunity to build their country and pursue their aspirations in peace,” said Toner, further adding, “Instead they are facing the further untold suffering of continued conflict”.

A recent report from the UN gave horrific accounts of civilian killings and a rise in the number of government soldiers in uniform raping and gang raping women and girls who have taken refuge in UN protection of civilian sites.

The world body, for instance, documented about120 cases of sexual violence in South Sudan in the last two weeks.

“Those responsible for war crimes, crimes against humanity, and other violations of international humanitarian law - including those who order or incite violence, or encourage or contribute to the commission of crimes - will be held accountable,” said Toner.

Washington, in a statement, also reminded all parties that the peace agreement provides that the Hybrid Court for South Sudan will have jurisdiction over violations of international law committed during the transitional period, including those committed during the ongoing violence.

Last month, skirmishes between force loyal to President Salva Kiir and those allied to ex-rebel leader Riek Machar in the capital, Juba left over 270 soldiers dead.

The recent wave of violence, the UN says, has displaced over 40,000 civilians.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 August 2016 05:19, by Whortti Bor Manza

    Damn these UN and USA. You have no business in South Sudan. Pack and quit. After all this is your making. You are calling on the parties to respect the peace agreement while Kiir has crystal clear violated it. How many times has Kiir said that this agreement cannot be implemented.
    Leave South Sudanese to kill themselves.
    Just fuck off.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Ateny flip-flopping, where is his loyalty to President Kiir? 2017-01-15 07:57:11 By Chuor Deng Chuor The world knows that Ateny Wek Ateny is supposed to be the Press Secretary and official spokesperson of President Salva Kiir. but the reality of the matter is that Ateny has (...)

Obama’s promises and pledges for Darfur went unheeded with lifting sanctions 2017-01-15 06:43:31 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Barak Obama's Lifting of Sanctions off the genocidal regime of the National Congress Party (NCP) in Sudan is based on weak, unconvincing, pretty flimsy excuses and very (...)

The Final Betrayal of Sudan: Partial Suspension of Sanction 2017-01-14 21:31:35 “The Final Betrayal of Sudan: Obama administration’s lifting of economic sanctions; UN Ambassador Samantha Power justifying the move, claiming a ‘sea change’ of improvement in humanitarian access” (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.