July 30, 2016 (BOR) – The government of South Sudan’s Jonglei state has been urged to support orphans and widows of those who died in the struggle for independence and subsequent wars that followed.
- Jonglei state governor, Aguer Panyang joined by others to light candles in Bor on July 31, 2016 (ST)
Speaking on behalf of the widows and orphans in Jonglei state, Sahara Achuei Lem, said orphans and widows desperately need government support in their lives, calling for immediate assistance.
“I think about what we have done so far to honor the dead who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of this country. What support are you giving orphans and widows? War disabled are not only those who were amputated or suffered gunfire. All people in South Sudan are either disabled mentally or physically and need support through delivery of better services”, she said.
Achuei lost her father and husband in 1991 and 1994 respectively.
The governor of Jonglei state, Philip Aguer vowed to act on requests and demands from the public to support the people of South Sudan.
“For us not be cursed by our martyrs, let us commit and devote ourselves for the public and future interest of our nation building, disregard selfishness and narrow interest”, said Aguer on Saturday.
Diing Akol Diing, the advisor to the state governor, equally admitted that various lives lost helped South Sudan raise its flag on 9 July 2011, urging the government to open up opportunities that would benefit orphans and the disabled people in the country.
Adoor Mabior, a member of parliament in Bor, said there was need for peace and reconciliation if the young nation is to remain stable.
“If we need change in our societies, let there be peace, let there be love and forgiveness”, said Adoor.
Peter Wall Athiu, said struggles for total freedom was still ongoing, citing the hundreds of people in the recent fighting that started in Juba on 8 July, as another phase of struggle for total freedom.
Meanwhile, Gen. Malual Majok, who spoke on behalf of the army, assured people that the military would protect them in case of any attack, warning them not to be driven away by street rumors.
“Despite the fighting in J1[presidential palace], the government is still committed to peace. We observed and respect the ceasefire. We will only act in self-defense if attacked”, said Malual.
Over the last few weeks, people in Jonglei have been living in fear, of possible attacks that might come from Lou Nuer, but Majok said the army would fully protect civilians.
“We are prepared and ready to face them. If they come, they will get us, and if they don’t come, we will not go to them. So do not be driven away by rumors”, he stressed.