July 23, 2016 (JUBA) – At least 13 people have died and 190 hospitalised following a recent outbreak of Cholera in various parts of South Sudan, the health ministry disclosed.
- A child receives an oral cholera vaccine dose in the South Sudan capital, Juba (Medair Photo)
“The Cholera cases were reported and recorded in Duk County of Jonglei State, Juba County of Jubek State and Terekeka County of Terekeka State since June till Thursday [21 July],” Information Minister, Michael Makuei Lueth said Friday.
Cholera is a preventable disease, which is mainly caused by drinking or eating contaminated water or food. It mainly affects town dwellers that drink from open water sources as well as people who lack latrines and toilets in homes.
A report on Cholera outbreak was reportedly presented by Health Minister, Riek Gai Kok before the council of ministers.
“Only 13 people have died so far and there are 194 cases of cholera reported in the three states,” said Makuei.
According to the minister, United Nations agencies like UNICEF, WHO and other humanitarian actors pledged to help South Sudan respond to increasing Cholera cases.
South Sudan has already allocated SSP 200 million to address the disease outbreak.