Home | News    Wednesday 20 July 2016

SPLM-N describes government cessation of hostilities as “mere bluff”

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

A graduation ceremony of 445 officers in the rebel-held areas in South Kordofan on Tuesday 19 July 2016 (Courtesy photo of SPLM-N)

July 19, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - The rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) has brushed off the unilateral cessation of hostilities declared by President Omer al-Bashir as “merely a ploy” to buy time to reorganize his troops in the Two Areas.

The Sudanese government has been fighting the SPLM-N rebels in South Kordofan and Blue Nile since June 2011.

Last Month, al-Bashir declared a four-month unilateral cessation of hostilities in the Two Areas, saying it came as goodwill gesture to give an opportunity for the rebels to lay down arms and to join the peace process in Sudan.

On Tuesday, the SPLM-N Chief of general staff Gen. Gagod Mukwar said the regime has allocated the state’s budget and resources to suppress the voices of the people of the Two Areas.

Mukwar, who spoke during a graduation ceremony of 445 officers in the rebel-held areas in South Kordofan, added the regime has mobilized human and material resources to silence and destroy the people of the Two Areas in order to “sit on the throne of dictatorship and tyranny but failed miserably and suffered decisive defeat”.

He described al-Bashir’s declaration of the cessation of hostilities as mere hoax, saying he seeks to win time to rearrange and reorganize his troops to launch another attack during the next summer.
The rebel commander stressed that any serious and credible cessation of hostilities must be carried out jointly through negotiations involving the two parties and to be monitored by the African Union.

He hailed the resilience and sacrifices of the SPLM-N fighters during the summer attacks in the Two Areas, saying “we defeated the regime’s decisive summer campaign for the fifth time and inflicted heavy losses in lives and equipment on its troops and militias”.

Mukwar further said the SPLM-N fighters are ready to repulse any government attack, expressing readiness to engage in peace talks to resolve the country’s problems.

Last December, negotiations between Khartoum and the SPLM-N stalled after the government delegation insisted that the objective of talks is to settle the conflict in the Two Areas, while the SPLM-N team has called for a holistic approach to resolve ongoing conflicts across Sudan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


“The Nile: Shared River, Collective Action” 2018-02-22 08:06:26 By Dr. Eng. Seleshi Bekele Ethiopia is hosting the 2018 Regional Nile Day Celebration in commemoration of the establishment of the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) on February 22, 1999 in Dar es (...)

James Dak’s case:: Why death sentence should be canceled 2018-02-19 14:27:34 By Peter Gai Manyuon On Monday 12th of February 2018, a South Sudan court in Juba sentenced James Gatdet Dak to death by hanging, citing several provisions in the constitution as the basis upon (...)

The Position of the SPLM-N on Relief Delivery Same Wine, Old Bottles! 2018-02-18 06:50:42 By Elwathig Kameir On January 19, 2017, I published an article titled “Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: Catch 22,” from which I quote the following opening paragraphs (from i to iii): (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)

AUHIP Communiqué on Sudan & SPLM-N talks for cessation of hostilities agreement 2018-02-05 13:04:16 African Union High-Level Implementation Panel for Sudan and South Sudan Joint Statement on Unilateral Ceasefire, Cessation of Hostilities and Completion of Negotiations 1) With the facilitation (...)

South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.