Home | News    Monday 18 July 2016

Uganda accuses Machar’s forces of killing its citizens

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 18, 2016 (JUBA) – The Ugandan government has claimed that forces loyal to the South Sudanese First Vice President, Riek Machar killed six of its 11 nationals during the recent clashes with government soldiers in the country’s capital, Juba.

JPEG - 20 kb
Ugandan Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Henry Oryem Okello (C) speaks to the press after a meeting with President al-Bashir in Kartoum on 20 June 2016 (ST Photo)

Uganda’s foreign affairs minister, Henry Okello Oryem told the independent Daily Monitor newspaper last week that tanks allegedly belonging to Machar’s forces ran over the six Ugandan citizens at Jebel Kujur, a Juba suburb.

Oryem reportedly made the allegations as he briefed the country’s lawmakers in the national parliament on the situation in South Sudan and the safety of their citizens in the northern neighbouring nation.

But the First Vice President’s office said the allegations were untrue, since they did not have tanks unlike President Salva Kiir’s forces.

“This is untrue. We don’t possess tanks in Juba. When our 1,300 troops were airlifted into Juba, they didn’t bring with them tanks. It is President Salva Kiir’s forces who possess tanks and actually attacked our forces at Jebel Kujur using tanks,” Machar’s spokesperson, James Gatdet Dak told Sudan Tribune on Monday.

“If the Ugandan nationals were crashed by tanks, then the Honourable minister of Uganda should ask President Kiir,” he added.

Dak, however, said he hoped the Ugandan official was not trying to justify another pretext to deploy Ugandan troops to South Sudan to fight against the opposition fighters as they did from December 2013.

The minister was also quoted saying they had reliable information that Machar’s forces have an upper hand in the southern part of Juba and may “soon” take control of towns like Yei.

Clashes between the country’s rival forces lefts hundreds dead, before Kiir and Machar declared a ceasefire, which has since held.

At least 42,000 people, the United Nations said last week, have been displaced from their homes as a result of a conflict that threatens to derail the country’s peace agreement.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 18 July 2016 19:39, by Force 1

    Killing civilians is the only thing Machar’s forces knows how to do; because they can’t afford to go head to head with real army with guns like they are. When is the last time SPLA-IO defeated government forces and take over Juba or any part of Juba? Never happened and those are facts that you can’t dispute and any way shape or form!

    repondre message

    • 18 July 2016 20:07, by dinkdong

      "When our 1,300 troops were airlifted into Juba, they didn’t bring with them tanks." Dispute that! Ha ha ha!!!

      repondre message

      • 18 July 2016 20:33, by choldit

        I know dunking, u may not know the Spla-io forces brought in juba was that much but that is a reality that makes different btwn well trained and a poorly rained soldiers. The defeated Spla-ig but the juba was to big for them. The io reached lou, rockcity and jebelsuok but thier ticee becomes lost and their command left alone. Why cld the gunship have to be used? Our forces fear to confront without

        repondre message

        • 18 July 2016 21:32, by choldit

          ... tanks, hvy wpn mounted pickup trucks and gunships eventually. For sure we were defeated. Listen to this future shameful thing to happen: the forces that are now being send by Salva Kiir to find Dr Machar and kill where he went is 8 trucks and 4 tanks full of army plus gunships. This forces will not come back in juba in one unit with those equipments. My fear is that juba will be attack with

          repondre message

    • 18 July 2016 20:21, by choldit

      The Ugandan govt is trying to involve in the fight for president Salva Kir that is why they are reasoning like Dinka chief Salva Kiir. But really the minister have no idea about the capability of the forces that fought in juba last week? Minister, can u try it again but next time can u collect the facts b4 formulating ur false accusations in way of getting reasons that may give u right to kill mor

      repondre message

    • 18 July 2016 21:44, by jubaone

      Force 1,

      The jienge SPLA are the ones who have been looting, killing and eating human flesh in Wau, Juba, Yei and Maridi since they started starving and then fleeing to Uganda and Sudan. What was previously unthinkable has become a reality. Funny though even with million cows, the idiot often dies of hunger

      repondre message

  • 18 July 2016 20:03, by marie

    Read the content of article mr force and comment accordingly. Uganda is accusing Machar of killing Ugandan civilians by tank. Does that make sense to you. Even grade 6 student would reason better in this juncture. It is a pity that Africa is being ruled by brainless people.

    repondre message

    • 18 July 2016 20:09, by dinkdong

      Exactly! It doesn’t make sense.

      repondre message

  • 18 July 2016 20:19, by Eastern

    I thought the illiteracy of his father which was blamed for his poor governance has not caught up with Okello Oryem. Dr Machar didn’t carry a single tank into Juba. All the tanks and other amored fighting vehicles in Juba and its surroundings belong to Kiir and Museveni. Okello Oryem should stop playing stupid diplomacy!!!!

    repondre message

  • 18 July 2016 20:24, by Eastern

    Let the world focus on the intresigence of the Dinka led government who fooled the world by signing an agreement their are not willing to implement. The Dinka led government is posturing that it can face off with the world:https://radiotamazuj.org/en/article/dinka-council-elders-warns-war-over-additional-unmiss-troops

    repondre message

  • 18 July 2016 20:27, by Eastern

    Okello Oryem is just echoing the position of his boss, Museveni who’s opposed to the imposition of arms embargo on South Sudan. Museveni’s amunition factory in Nakasongola will have no customer if arms are prevented from entering South Sudan!!!

    repondre message

  • 18 July 2016 22:01, by Jojo

    It is really Shameful for Mr. Oryem to utter words which is completely false. Just ask your citizen whom were taken to Uganda, and they will tell you who killed the Ugandans. There were many who were killed not only 11. SPLA did looting, raped and killed. SPLA-IO helped many civilians to escape the undisciplined soldiers of Kiir

    repondre message

  • 19 July 2016 03:17, by lino

    Hey Guys, maybe he forgot to Say: SPLA IO overrun 2 SPLA tanks and crushed some Ugandan soldiers!!! Lol.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Do we have leaders in South Sudan or murderers? 2017-10-15 04:13:20 By Peter Gai Manyuon According to different scholars globally, leadership style is the way a person uses power to lead other people. More so, scholars have also identified a variety of (...)

Accountability, National Dialogue, and Elections: Which one of them comes first? 2017-10-12 21:51:17 By Dr Lako Jada Kwajok Conflicts or wars are the offspring of failures to have constructive dialogues in resolving problems between parties. The parties could range from countries, groups of (...)

Sudan-U.S relations: Khartoum’s animosity went with the wind after sanctions lifting 2017-10-11 05:39:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes in the aftermath of the calming and fading away from the heavy dust triggered by the event of lifting the decades-long US economic and trade sanctions (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 October 7, 2017 A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth of Greater Bor in diaspora (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)

New group formed to gather Nuer in United States 2017-08-17 14:15:50 DECLARATION FOR THE FORMATION OF NUD TO BRING TOGETHER ALL NUER IN THE U.S.A Press Statement The Nuer Union For Development (NUD) The United State of America The State of Nebraska August 15, (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.