Home | News    Monday 18 July 2016

US “not taking any offensive military actions” in S. Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 17, 2016 (JUBA) - The United States said it is not taking any offensive military actions aimed at destabilizing South Sudan, but is only sending a small contingent to assist its embassy in the country.

JPEG - 10.9 kb
US president Barack Obama meets with South Sudanese president Salva Kiir Mayardit in New York on 21 September 2011 (Photo: AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

The move comes barely two weeks after a spate of violence, involving South Sudan’s rival forces in the capital, Juba left hundreds dead before a ceasefire, which has since held, was declared.

“The United States wants to reassure the people and the government of South Sudan that it has no plans to target any government or military leaders or import special military equipment with the goal of destabilizing the nation,” the deputy spokesperson of the US State Department, Mark Toner said in a statement.

"Any suggestion that the United States has done so or will do so is false, baseless, and not in the interest of peace in South Sudan," he added.

Last week, the US President Barack Obama on Friday announced that Washington would deploy up to 200 troops equipped with combat equipment to South Sudan to protect US citizens and the embassy in Juba, with troops to be stationed in Uganda.

The outbreak of fighting has already forced the United Nations to evacuate its non-essential staff from the young nation. The US, Germany, Uganda and Sudan also evacuated its citizens from Juba.

Toner said to help keep its embassy open and help non-emergency workers to depart, the US sent military personnel to Juba on 12 July.

"Citizens of Juba can expect to see a rotation in military personnel during the week of July 18," he further stressed.

"This rotation of troops is to replace not reinforce the number of military personnel. All of the additional troops will return home when the need for additional security no longer exists,” added the official.

Meanwhile, the US government welcomed the 11 July ceasefire in put in place by the SPLA/M-In Government and the SPLM-In Opposition, urging both sides to remain committed to the ceasefire, protect and ensure the welfare of civilians in Juba and other parts of the nation.

South Sudan’s largest single donor of humanitarian assistance, Washington has reportedly donated nearly $1.6 billion to the young nation since the start of conflict in the country in mid-December 2013.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 July 00:15, by Mr Point

    The government of South Sudan should make an equal commitment to the statement by the government of the United States.

    “the government of South Sudan wants to reassure the people that it has no plans to target any government or military leaders or import special military equipment with the goal of destabilizing the nation,”

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Call for the release of S. Sudanese arbitrarily detained by national security services in Juba 2016-12-07 07:54:53 By Bangasi Joseph Bakosoro On 22 December 2015, at around 12pm, I received a call from the National Security Service (NSS) summoning me to their headquarters for a meeting. I drove to the office (...)

Holding accountable those enabling genocide in Sudan 2016-12-05 05:30:49 Eric Reeves As grim genocide by attrition in Darfur is set to enter its fifteenth year, as Khartoum’s claim of a purely nominal “cease-fire” in South Kordofan is belied by repeated reports of Sudan (...)

Sudan’s Civil Disobedience, a model for political change 2016-12-04 05:23:21 by Mahmoud A. Suleiman According to Gene Sharp of Albert Einstein Institution in his masterpiece book from Dictatorship to Democracy, he quoted Civil Disobedience among the 198 Methods of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Conspiracy, rumour mongering and power struggle behind alleged case of corruption in president’s office 2016-12-05 05:36:45 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 4 December, 2016 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has been following up the alleged case of corruption in the Office of the Pesident. The case involved 16 people from (...)

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.