July 18, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - Sudanese government on Sunday said it has evacuated 1473 of its nationals from South Sudan following the recent bloody clashes in the newborn state.
The committee tasked with following up on the conditions of the Sudanese citizens in conflict areas revealed that 1473 out of 3000 persons who expressed desire to return to Sudan from South Sudan have been evacuated so far.
An official at the operation room set up by the Sudanese Working Abroad Authority (SWAA) to follow up on the evacuation procedures said that 376 people have arrived at Khartoum airport from Juba on Sunday.
He told the semi-official Sudan Media Center (SMC) that they are continuing to register Sudanese nationals who wish to voluntarily return to the country, pointing to the continued coordination with the Sudanese embassy in Juba to monitor the situation of the Sudanese in the various parts of South Sudan.
Head of communities and migration department at the SWAA, Al-Rahid Abd al-Latif , on Friday said that the number of the Sudanese nationals in South Sudan is around 50.000 persons, among them 3000 facing difficult situations and willing to return home.
On July 7th, fighting erupted in South Sudan’s capital Juba between followers of President Salva Kiir and Riek Machar, the former rebel leader who became vice president under a deal to end a two-year civil war.
The violence, which has killed hundreds of people, broke out as the world’s newest nation prepared to mark five years of independence from Sudan on July 9.
In response to the mounting pressure from the international community, the rival leaders have unilaterally declared cessation of hostilities to stop the fighting.