Home | News    Sunday 17 July 2016

Germany "temporarily" closes its South Sudan embassy

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 16, 2016 (JUBA) – Germany has, in the wake of the deteriorating situation in South Sudan, "temporarily" closed its embassy and evacuated its nationals from the country.

The German national flag (Getty)“There was street to street fighting directly in front of the homes of many employees and aid workers, after four days of heavy fighting, which we had to witness up close, there remained no other option but to evacuate," Johannes Lehne, the German envoy told Radio Tamazuj

Germany evacuated all it staffs and nationals from South Sudan after clashes between the country’s rival forces killed hundreds.

Several countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Uganda and Sudan also evacuated their citizens from South Sudan, but their embassies are still operating.

On Friday, however, the German Air Force airlifted about 200 of its national and some from other countries to Entebbe, Uganda.

"Germany has also closed its embassy in South Sudan ‘temporarily’ owing to violent conflict in the capital," Radio Tamajuz reported Saturday.

US TROOPS IN JUBA

The United States President Barrack Obama on Thursday said 47 American soldiers have been deployed in South Sudan to protect the American embassy and the staff.

"In response to the deteriorating security situation in South Sudan, I have ordered the deployment of additional U.S. Armed Forces personnel to South Sudan to support the security of U.S. personnel, and our embassy in Juba.," the White House said in a letter to the Speaker for House of Representatives and Senate President.

The first of these additional personnel, approximately 47 individuals, reportedly arrived in the South Sudanese capital, Juba on 12 July, 2016, supported by military aircraft.

Although equipped for combat, these additional personnel are deployed for the purpose of protecting U.S. citizens and property," the letter reads in part.

The US embassy in Juba evacuated non-essential staffers out of South Sudan, while South Sudanese working in the embassy were asked to stay away from the premises.

Fighting erupted between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and First Vice President Riek Machar last week, leaving hundreds dead and thousands displaced. Both sides declared a ceasefire on Monday after President Kiir’s forces overran Machar’s base.

Obama said the American soldiers will remain in the country until the security situation improve but added that more troops might be sent to the country if needed.

"Additional U.S. Armed Forces, including approximately 130 military personnel currently pre-positioned in Djibouti, are prepared to provide support, as necessary, for the security of U.S. citizens and property, including our embassy in South Sudan," it stressed.

The US sent troops to Juba the onset of conflict in December 2013 to guard its embassy.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur, the most ‘successful’ genocide in a century 2017-04-21 23:16:47 By Eric Reeves The Darfur region of western Sudan has been recognized since 2004 as the site of genocide since 2004 by dozens of political officials and bodies (including the U.S. Congress and (...)

Open Letter to AU and IGAD: Festus Mogae be relieved and JMEC disbanded 2017-04-21 23:12:39 By Dak Buoth It is an opportune time for President Festus Mogae, the Chair of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation commission (JMEC) to pack and go back where he came from. And if he so wishes to (...)

The Nile Basin In Transformation: research uptake and what’s at stake? 2017-04-20 14:55:55 Mohamed s. M. Yassin (Ph.D) The Nile basin territories have witnessed huge transformation since prehistoric era and continue to be subjected to enormous transformations. The transformations (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.