Home | News    Tuesday 12 July 2016

South Sudanese warring parties declare ceasefire in Juba

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

South Sudanese policemen and soldiers are seen along a street following renewed fighting in South Sudan's capital Juba, July 10, 2016. (Photo Reuters)

July 11, 2016 (JUBA) – Rival leaders in South Sudan have unilaterally declared cessation of hostilities to stop a four-day fighting between their forces in the national capital, Juba.

Heavy fighting had been going on between forces of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) loyal to President Salva Kiir, and the SPLA in Opposition (SPLA-IO) loyal to First Vice President, Riek Machar.

Hundreds of soldiers have been killed on both sides for the cause none of the two leaders could explain.

On Monday, probably in response to the mounting pressure from the international community, the two leaders agree to cease fire.

President Kiir issued an order read on the national TV by his information minister, Michael Makuei Lueth, in which he declared the ceasefire.

“In exercise of powers conferred upon me under Chapter 1, Clause 5.2.1 read together with Chapter 2, Clause 1.3 of the Agreement of the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan, August 2015, I, Salva Kiir Mayardit, President of the Republic of South Sudan, Commander-in-Chief of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and Supreme Commander of all other Regular Forces, do hereby issue this Republic Order for Declaration of Cessation of Hostilities between the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO”, declared President Kiir.

President Kiir, according to the unilateral ceasefire ordered all government forces to return to their units and barracks.

The order gives all the government forces up to 12midday on Tuesday to cease hostilities, stop roaming the streets while carrying military weapons and in uniforms, and return immediately to their barracks. He warned that failure to adhere to the order would subsequently be followed with serious measures.

It remains unclear what motivated the decision of the president after an apparent total breakdown of command to control the manner in which government soldiers conducted themselves for the past four days, including breaking into shops and mercilessly looting them, instead of providing protection to the lives of the civilians and their properties.

The main Jebel market, located South west of capital, Juba, as well as Gudele in the west and markets in the residential areas inside Juba town, the capital of the new nation, were ransacked by the government soldiers using military vehicles to carry the loots.

President Kiir called on his army commanders to control their forces and that they should return to their barracks by Tuesday at 12 noon time. It was not clear why the ceasefire did not immediately come into effect and had to take another 24 hours to come into effect.

On his part, Machar on Monday evening also said he agreed to the cessation of hostilities in Juba with immediate effect from 8pm local time on Monday.

In a document he signed seen by Sudan Tribune, Machar called for “Disengagement of forces and immediate withdrawal of SPLA from SPLA IO positions.”

The opposition leader also called for intervention of a third party force to create a buffer zone.

“Ensuring the security and safety of SPLM IO leaders, members of advance team and the members of SPLM IO,” the document said.

He also called for review and operationalization of transitional security arrangements of Juba, Malakal, Bor, Bentiu and other areas in the country “as per Chapter two of the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan.”

UN OUTRAGED

The decision by the two top rival leaders came after members of the United Nations Security Council expressed shock and outrage at the attacks on U.N. compounds and protection of civilians’ sites in Juba following clashes on Sunday.

In a strong worded statement, the United Nations called on the parties to ceasefire immediately and protect the lives of their people.

“The members of the Security Council reminded all parties, including government security forces, of the civilian character of the protection of civilian sites in South Sudan. The members of the Security Council stressed that attacks against civilians and UN premises and personnel may constitute war crimes,” the Security Council said in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Monday.

The Security Council particularly protested the attack on the premises of the United Nations, demanding that those who attacked UN premises must be held accountable. The statement revealed that Chinese and Rwandan peacekeepers had been killed or injured in the attack.

The statement further added that the Security Council was ready to consider enhancing the capacity of the UN mission in South Sudan “to better ensure that it and the international community can prevent and respond to violence in South Sudan."

The U.N. Security Council also emphasized that regional actors should attempt to bring an end to recent violence.

"The members of the Security Council encouraged states in the region to prepare to provide additional troops in the event the Council so decides,” the Security Council said. “The members of the Security Council encouraged countries in the region, the African Union Peace and Security Council and the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development, to continue firmly engaging with South Sudanese leaders to address the crisis," it added.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 11 July 2016 21:48, by Mr Point

    Now it’s time for the government to take firm action against those who started the conflict.

    Kiir promised an investigation.

    Who will be implicated and lose their position as a result?

    Who had the motive to start the clash?

    repondre message

    • 11 July 2016 21:48, by Mr Point

      There was no planned coup. It was a setup to murder Machar

      Machar’s bodyguards deployed outside the Palace in response to a false message . “A huge force came from nowhere and joined up with President Kiir’s tiger force and opened fire on them” (ST).

      1. Who sent the false message?
      2. Who knew of the meeting but was not there?
      3. Who wants to kill Riek Machar?
      4. Who commands “a huge force”?

      repondre message

  • 11 July 2016 21:50, by Mr Point

    Who ordered the SPLA-IG force to attack Riek’s camp after Riek has been escorted back there safely by Kiir’s own bodyguards?

    repondre message

  • 11 July 2016 22:18, by lino

    Government Intelligence and military know what was cooking! A shake up should happen to go forward.

    repondre message

  • 12 July 2016 05:15, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    President Kiir, ordered ceasefire to be in place but notorious enemy of peace will not accept.
    Riek Machar, create desperate situations to cause a loss of people like he" killed innocent people including women and children and unable people who suppose to their protection.

    repondre message

  • 12 July 2016 05:20, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    > Riek Machar, loaded number of heavy artillery into UN compound resulted the killing of UNMISS peace keepers and venerable peace base in the compound.

    repondre message

  • 12 July 2016 05:23, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    SPLA-IG should search those who are anti-peace to teach them according to their wishes.

    repondre message

  • 12 July 2016 07:10, by Joseph Canada

    Machardidnt cause the fight you dummies. His Intelegent Officer was killed and dumped in the hospital before the fight. Some of you are trying to cook your lies and try to make things work your way. Videos are already on a Youtube. The world knows everything. Thanks to the digital era.

    repondre message

    • 12 July 2016 09:45, by Khent

      Joseph Canada

      But he did start it... he started it decades ago and there are people that want him dead for the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians that he brutally butchered. He and those that continue to support him militarily are legitimate targets because we lost hundreds of thousands of people due to his alliance with Khartoum. Riek deserves death a thousand times over.

      repondre message

      • 12 July 2016 11:04, by Reuben

        Kent
        what stupid mind. How many people died within these three days because of the vendetta you were writing about? Riek apologized long time a go for the previous action of his forces.Looking for revenge will kill more of the same people.

        repondre message

        • 12 July 2016 14:50, by barbayo

          James Gadet you are responsibility for families of lose armies of rebels of Raik Machar , R.I.P
          1 Simon Gatwach Dual
          2 Martin Kenyi
          2 James Kaong Choul
          and more armise , our communities Nuer ,this mess for James Gatwach Dak who gave wrong information to media as Dr Raik was arrested which full lie

          repondre message

    • 12 July 2016 14:19, by barbayo

      all the lost be responsibility ofthe neck James Gadet Dak who lied that Raik was arrest to media and to their rebels lose on date 8/7/2016 cause by James Gadet Dak , all our Nuer community we have to look the family of James Gadet to revenge our beloved brothers lose on incident 8/7/2016 and these days

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who shall be South Sudan Vice President on SSOA’s ticket? 2019-10-17 15:16:16 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi The Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan R-ARCSS provides that President Salva Kiir shall continue as President of (...)

Is Salva Kiir ready to implement peace? 2019-10-17 15:14:11 By Duop Chak Wuol He began his tenure as a leader admired by most South Sudanese. The death of South Sudan’s renowned leader, Dr John Garang de Mabior, in July 2005 opened the door for him to (...)

Is South Sudan’s administrative system an ethnic fragmentation or incoming ethnic federalism? 2019-10-17 05:11:36 By James Gatdet Dak Lampuar October 16, 2019 – I neither claim to be an expert on decentralized system of governance and on federalism, in all its forms, nor a decision-making authority in our (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.