Home | News    Tuesday 5 July 2016

Darfur rebel faction proposes UNAMID-monitored cessation of hostilities

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 4, 2016 (KHARTOUM) - A faction of the Sudan Liberation Movement Monday has proposed a cease fire agreement in Darfur to be verified by monitoring teams of the hybrid peacekeeping mission (UNAMID) to allow humanitarian access into Jebel Marra area.

JPEG - 23.9 kb
SLM Minni Minnawi (L) and Nimir Abdel Rahman sign a political agreement on 20 February 2015 (ST Photo)

During the recent months, Darfur mountainous area witnessed fierce fighting between the government forces and the Sudan Liberation Movement - Abdel Wahid al-Nur (SLM-AW), causing massive displacement of civilians in the region, as others are still in isolated areas without humanitarian access.

Head of the Transitional Council of the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army (TCSLM) Nimir Abdel Rahman said that the government unilateral truce should be followed by a genuine agreement between the warring parties and a monitoring committee composed of the UNAMID peacekeepers.

In a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Monday, Abdel Rahman said such deal will pave the way to open humanitarian corridors and allow aid groups to reach affected civilians in the remote affected areas of Jebel Marra.

Abdel Rahman previously was the SLM-AW spokesperson before to form the TCSLM with others members of the group. His group says they have a military force in Jebel Marra led by commander Mohamed Adam Abdel Salam "Tarada".

“without such agreement, the cease fire will be a lie, a diversionary tactic and a deception aiming to gain the support of the international community, especially the U.S.,” he further said.

The TCSLM leader meanwhile urged the international community to put further pressures on Khartoum to open the humanitarian access to save the lives of civilians stranded in Jebel Marra. He expressed readiness to cooperate in order to support the needy, particularly the rainy season has started and the IDPs are without shelter, as he said.

He warned that a humanitarian disaster may occur in Jebel Marra, saying thousands of civilians took refuge in the caves, in three areas : Dulu, Lugui and Sortoni, besides those who are in Tawila, Kabkabiya, Nirtiti and Galdu.

“They have no shelter, medicines, food and blankets. They live in a very bad humanitarian situation,” he added.

On 12 April, the Sudanese army declared Darfur a region free of rebels following the capture of Srounq area, the last SLM-AW stronghold in Jebel Marra.

United Nations agencies estimate that over 120,000 people have been displaced by the fighting in Jebel Marra area since last January.

Abdel Rahman further praised the efforts exerted by the international community, especially the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP), the U.S. and other international actors to end the war in Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile states.

However, he called to not limit peace talks with three armed groups and the opposition National Umma Party led by Sadiq al-Mahdi.

They do not represent all the Sudanese opposition forces, whether political, civil or armed groups," he said.

“If there is a real desire for a sustainable peace, it will be better to have the participation of all political forces and to reconsider the Roadmap Agreement signed by the Sudanese government and the African Union mediator for the benefit of the citizen and the homeland", he stressed.

There are unconfirmed reports about peace talks between two Darfur rebel factions led by Abu al-Gasim Imam and Taher Hajer in Doha during the upcoming weeks, but the TCSLM or the SLM-Unity of Abdalla Yahiya are not part of the process.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.