Home | News    Sunday 14 February 2016

SPLA-IO accuses South Sudanese army of attacking their bases

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 13, 2016 (ADDIS ABABA) – South Sudanese government army has been accused of continuing to attack bases of opposition fighters in violation of the permanent ceasefire agreement signed in August last year by warring parties in the country.

JPEG - 26 kb
South Sudanese SPLA soldiers in Pageri in Eastern Equatoria state on August 20, 2015 (Photo AFP/Samir Bol)

The armed opposition faction of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM-IO) said their forces came under attack in different locations over the weekend, accusing President Salva Kiir’s government of the violations.

“SPLM/SPLA (IO) forces have been attacked on Saturday, 13th February, and Friday, 12th February, by government forces in different states and locations,” said James Gatdet Dak, official spokesman of the armed opposition leader, Riek Machar, in a statement he issued to media on Saturday.

Government forces, he said, attacked their military base in Magwi county of Eastern Equatoria state at around 5:00am local time on Saturday, but were repulsed. He also added that reports from the ground indicated that government forces were preparing for further offensive on the opposition forces.

Dak also cited that another attack took place earlier on Friday when government forces in Western Equatoria state attacked opposition forces in Ezo county and Rangu payam, hundreds of kilometres west of the national capital, Juba.

“It is unfortunate that the government or elements within its leadership are not committed to peace and continue to provoke the situation,” he said.

Early this week, SPLM-IO also reported multiple attacks on their bases in the oil rich Upper Nile state, now divided into three states. They said government troops attacked their base in Wadekona county, home to Shilluk ethnic group, and shelled their designated cantonment area, south of the state capital, Malakal.

The opposition faction also claimed that they spotted thousands of government troops moving out from Pariang county in Unity state towards Kodok areas.

“This act of aggression to try to capture more territories is a clear violation of the agreement on the Permanent Ceasefire,” he said.

The parties have not yet agreed on cantonment areas in which to assemble rival forces across the country, pending reunification process of the two armies per the provisions of the peace agreement. The process to unify the two rival forces will take at least 18 months.

The parties too have not implemented the security arrangements for the capital, Juba, and states capitals, where demilitarization is supposed to take place and joint police and military forces deployed.

In accordance with the peace agreement, there will be two separate armies during the first half of the transitional period of 30 months prior to elections. The rival forces will be assembled in cantonment areas to be agreed upon by the parties to the peace agreement.

Both President Kiir and his first deputy, Machar, will command the two separate armies with separate national structures headed by their two respective chiefs of general staff.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 February 19:09, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

    Dak must cease war propaganda & advice his boss FVP Riak to just come for his office. There’s no single territory captured by IO in greater Equatoria that u falsely accuse govt of violation. U better say ur io has failed than beating the bush for nothing.

    repondre message

    • 13 February 20:16, by Frak Cho

      James Dak Gadet, when will you stop war propaganda? It looks odd for somebody like you post such unfounded news to the media. Spla-io never had any outpost in Magwi area. Magwi is on the main road to Nimule-border and is going as normal. No any fighting in that place after your criminal attack on 26th Aug.2015. God will judge your ill intention!!

      repondre message

    • 14 February 06:05, by Hardball

      James Gatdet is a pinhead who say anything to get attention! That’s what all pinheads do!

      repondre message

      • 14 February 07:36, by Mi diit

        Hey Dinka thieves,

        That hero (James Gatdet Dak) is a professional press secretary, not like your dumb Ateny Wek, or Makuei Lueth or even your drunk uncle Kiir Kuethpiny.

        It is his responsibility to condemn your violations.

        It is called being proactive in public relations work!

        repondre message

    • 14 February 08:36, by jubaone

      Shadrack Nuer Machut,

      We have a jienge tribal army made of illiterate "nyors" from luaks and not answerable to any command system except their own "benynyor". They are at large and defy even Kir´s orders. The best SPLA-IO can do is fight back.

      repondre message

      • 14 February 13:41, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

        Mathiang Anyoor is a part of S. Sudan National Army that rescued civilians fro brutal killing by ur white militias & defected SPLA of Riak Machar. Let’s now give peace a chance b’se it was a senseless war.

        repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


When threatened, nature fights back: A case for wetlands 2016-09-26 10:24:12 By Dr. Abdulkarim Seid At a glance, wetlands – large expanses of swamps – seem like public nuisances, a waste of space; occupying prime land which could otherwise be turned into sprawling shopping (...)

UNHRC Meetings: Is it a “diplomatic conspiracy” and “CSOs camouflage”? 2016-09-26 06:01:34 Notions From the United Nations Human Rights Council in its 33rd Session on Sudan: Is it a “Diplomatic Conspiracy” and “CSOs camouflage”? By Mohamed Yassin As an attendee of the UN Human Rights (...)

U.S. interests with the Sudan made the Darfur issue disappears from the radar 2016-09-23 20:21:06 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman U.S. only Cares for Interests U.S. Department of State Office of the Spokesperson, John Kirby, stated on September 20, 2016 that the United States welcomes cooperation (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)

Kiir’s rope -à-dope 2016-09-08 12:57:35 COMMUNIQUE September 6, 2016 By Pa’gan Amum Okiech for South Sudan Reborn The United Nations Security Council, with all of its strength and power, is now being challenged by a diplomatic (...)

Sudanese students, activists are at risk of torture: HRW 2016-05-25 14:40:51 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Students, Activists at Risk of Torture Free Detainees; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, May 25, 2016) – Sudanese national security officials have detained dozens of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.