Home | News    Sunday 15 November 2015

SPLA-IO welcomes Arrow Boys to its fighting force

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 14, 2015 (ADDIS ABABA) - South Sudanese armed opposition fighters (SPLA-IO) led by former vice-president, Riek Machar, said they welcomed the declaration of the youth fighters in Western Equatoria state, known as the Arrow Boys, to join the opposition forces in the country.

JPEG - 17.6 kb
Arrow Boys seen here in May 2010, patrol a village in south Sudan in an attempt to defend themselves from attacks LRA rebels (AFP)

The Arrow Boys, according to opposition leader’s spokesman, commanded by their leader, Alfred Karaba Futiyo Onyang, have declared joining the SPLA-IO and vowed their allegiance to the leadership of the SPLM-IO.

“SPLM/SPLA welcomes the Arrow Boys in Western Equatoria state under the command of Alfred Karaba Futiyo, in their recent declaration to join the Movement,” said James Gatdet Dak, in a statement he issued on Saturday.

The commander of the arrow boys, Futiyo, also told Sudan Tribune that over 10,000 armed youth composing the arrow boys under his command from various communities in Western Equatoria state, have on Thursday declared joining the SPLA-IO.

Opposition leader’s spokesman, Dak, welcomed the decision of the defection by the arrow boys and blamed the government of President Salva Kiir for pushing the youth fighters into making the decision.

He said the government was not committed to peace and had been carrying out attacks against the SPLA-IO and other armed groups in the country.

Last week, clashes occurred between the South Sudanese army (SPLA) and the Arrow Boys in Tombora area, resulting to killing of Tombora commissioner by suspected elements from the government forces, when they were ambushed on their return from a peace mission in an attempt to reconcile the government forces and the armed youth fighters.

Dak also said government forces have continued to attack opposition’s bases in the oil rich Unity state.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 14 November 2015 20:53, by Morthon Akol

    Mr. Alfred, that is not true you have no that number in your what so call Arrow boys 10000 are not a easy number to join you simply like that. secondly Dr. Machar is coming back to Juba are you going to come with him or you will continue to fight?

    repondre message

    • 14 November 2015 21:32, by Lotodo Awino Odug

      why welcome them! are you not for peace!!!

      repondre message

    • 15 November 2015 09:28, by Malakal county Simon

      It’s shameful now a day to call foolish Kiir, my president!!!!!!

      repondre message

  • 15 November 2015 06:24, by Nguetbuny de Luelpiny

    Akol it can be true because the large number of Zande,western Bar elgazal people. During 21 yrs of war they did not joing and a young number of young people to fight. Everybody is Upset by the way GOSS is running things. It can be more than 10000-25000 and more.

    repondre message

  • 15 November 2015 11:12, by Kalo

    Where were Arrow boys when Western Equatoria was liberated from Jalaba in 1990s by Commandos brigade made up of 90% from Nuba people,i could remember CDR Samuel Aujohn with few Zandes &some Moro men,the rest in DRC and CAR,It was because they don,t know how people suffering when struggling,they spoiled the land easily.
    Son of Nuba.

    repondre message

  • 15 November 2015 16:16, by Paul

    Not to worry. We have already seen the arrow boys’ fighting skill in assault of Torit in 2000s. There were 40,000 arrow boys involved in that attack and it was a nightmare.

    repondre message

    • 16 November 2015 07:33, by Redeemer

      Riek Machar has taken his decision to remain a commander of destructive forces for the rest of his life

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Peacekeeping faces challenges: here’s how we can meet them 2018-09-23 11:47:05 By Jean-Pierre Lacroix* United Nations peacekeeping remains one of the most effective tools to respond to today’s challenges of global peace and security. Every day, women and men who serve under (...)

Pragmatic patriarchy of Sudan over South Sudan 2018-09-22 09:28:17 James Okuk, PhD “We honour the human capacity to manage our collective lives with peace and even, at times, dignity” – Barbour & Wright The political process of Sudan and South Sudan has (...)

Salient features of South Sudan latest peace deal 2018-09-21 05:36:06 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi Last week, the government of South Sudan under President Salva Kiir, various armed and unarmed opposition groups and other parties, including the SPLM/A-IO led by Dr (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)

The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)

Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.