Home | News    Tuesday 21 September 2004

Obasanjo satisfied with Darfur talks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

ABUJA, Nigeria, Sep 21, 2004 (PANA) — Host President Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria is satisfied with progress in the Darfur peace talks in Abuja, even though a seeming deadlock last Friday forced a month-long adjournment of the parley, presidential spokesperson Remi Oyo told journalists here.

"The fact that the talks held was an indication that progress is being made in the resolution of the crisis," Oyo said shortly before the President flew out Tuesday morning to attend the UN General Assembly in New York.

She said the President, who is also chairman of the African Union gave his backing and provided the facilities for the AU-brokered talks.

"Both parties at the talks appreciated Nigeria’s help. During the extraordinary [AU] meeting in Burkina Faso, the Sudanese expressed gratitude to the people and government of Nigeria," Oyo said, adding "the President still remains concerned about the Darfur crisis."

During more than three weeks of negotiations, the Sudanese government and the two main rebel forces agreed on only one of the four items on the agenda - granting international aid workers more access to the Darfur region, where more than 50,000 people have died and over 1 million more displaced in 19 months of fighting.

The negotiations were adjourned last Friday after the parties
failed to agree on the disarming of rebel forces and the pro-
government Arab Janjaweed militias blamed for most of the
atrocities in the region.

On Nigeria’s failure to hand over to Cameroon the Bakassi
Peninsula on 15 September as agreed, Oyo said efforts were on-going to ensure "a peaceful and final resolution" of problems besetting the handover.

She said President Obasanjo had directed the Nigeria-Cameroon
Joint Commission, set up in the wake of the judgement of the
International Court of Justice at the Hague in 2002, to handle the "impediments" that made it impossible for the area to be handed over on the agreed date.

"If you recall, the Minister of Defence did say that the Nigeria-Cameroon Boundary Commission is working to ensure that a peaceful
and final resolution is found. The President’s position has not
changed from that," Oyo told newsmen here.

"You should recall also that the President said one of the things the government had been able to do was to ensure that Nigeria and Cameroon did not go to war. This is because we are brothers," she said.

However, a local newspaper intimated Tuesday that Nigeria
developed cold feet over the implementation of the ICJ ruling
because according to a security report, giving up the territory was not in Nigeria’s interest.

"The security report had indicated such decision would pose a
threat to the eastern flank of the country’s entry point and that it could be a security risk to the territorial integrity of the country," the private Punch newspaper said.

The handover is also opposed by Nigerian residents in the
peninsula, who have instituted a court case challenging the plan.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)

South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… 2019-05-16 09:10:31 South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… By Wesley Kosa On April, Pope Francis invited the South Sudanese parties for a spiritual retreat, to narrow the gap between them as they get closer to the (...)

Riek Machar has some questions to answer 2019-05-13 12:23:43 By Gordon Buay The Chairman of the SPLM/A-IO, Mr Riek Machar, has some questions to answer why members of his Movement are the organizers of the Facebook Red Card Movement. We thought that the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.