Home | News    Saturday 13 June 2015

South Sudan rebels deny missing nine officers in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 12, 2015 (JUBA) - South Sudanese armed opposition fighters allied to the former vice president, Riek Machar, dismissed as “mere propaganda” government’s claims that some of their officers were captured in the recent fighting in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state.

JPEG - 20.3 kb
SPLA in Opposition generals Gatwech Dual (R), Dau Aturjong (C) and Gabriel Tanginye pictured in Pagak on 8 December 2014 (ST)

South Sudanese army (SPLA) spokesman, Colonel Phillip Aguer, said nine officers and some soldiers from the rebels under the overall command of General Dau Aturjong, had been captured and were presently being held at the military headquarters in the area of Wunyiik, located north of the state’s capital, Aweil town.

The officers, according to Aguer, were captured by the government forces in recent clashes in the area over control of some villages in the state.

But Abdallah Kuot, spokesperson of the opposition forces in the area dismissed the claims, saying none of their soldiers was missing and instead accused the government of targeting civilians allegedly supportive of the rebel activities in the area.

“All our forces are [ac]counted for. None of them is absent. The report we are receiving so far is that supporters of the former governor, Paul Malong Awan, who is now the chief of general [staff] of the forces loyal to Salva Kiir, are baselessly accusing innocent civilians in the area to security personnel of being supportive of the freedom fighters,” Kuot told Sudan Tribune on Friday in response to the allegations.

“The security personnel are supposed to conduct their own verification before they act but because the current system is rotten, and which is why we are fighting to correct, they are taking whatever allegations brought to them and they act,” he charged.

The opposition official said nine officers and non-commissioned officers (NCOs) claimed by the government to have been captured during recent clashes in the area are a “mere propaganda” and cover up for arrested civilians accused of supporting the rebels.

“These reports are not correct. They do not carry any single truth whatsoever. They are part of usual propaganda. Their intention is simply meant to cover what they are doing in the area with innocent civilians,” he said.

He further charged that the culture in the area was that whenever someone didn’t like the other the option to silence opponent was to concoct a story, including coming up with the allegation of being a rebel so that accuser got the support of the security forces.

He said the people arrested by the state government were victims of personal differences, accusing the army chief of general staff, Paul Malong Awan, of being behind the false accusations.

They [victims] have no connection with us. They were just accused by some people and they were arrested. The information we have is that these people were arrested on Saturday when Paul Malong visited Aweil town,” he explained.

Opposition forces commanded by General Dau Aturjong, Awan’s home rival, have started limited military activities in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state, but government’s officials downplayed their significance as a force to reckon with.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 June 2015 07:19, by Kenyang

    Dau Aturjong history won’t be different of that of Ayii Akol or Kawach Makuei.To credit Kawach & Ayii, they were wise enough to listen to Aweil elders who rejected useless wars. They are yet still paying. Mading Aweil people are peace loving but make no mistake they are vengeful. The desperates who ferried unnecessary war to unnessary place at unnecssary time will pay with their own life.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What federal system is suitable for South Sudan? 2019-11-12 11:06:55 By Dr Jacob K. Lupai* Introduction Federalism is seen as a constitutional arrangement for dividing power between different levels of government so that federated states, regions or provinces can (...)

Differences between Sudan government, SRF and FFC are the main issues of concern 2019-11-09 11:17:17 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman As the proverb goes, the difference of opinion does not spoil amity and does not spoil the friendliness issue. On the other hand, mere differences of point of view and (...)

Can women make the world more peaceful? 2019-11-06 11:31:03 By Paulino Akoon Yel Dut A genuine comprehensive analysis shows that involving women in peacebuilding increases the probability that violence will end in an easy manner. Hence we should thank (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.