Home | News    Friday 22 May 2015

China evacuates oil workers from South Sudan oilfields over fighting: report

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 22, 2015 (ADDIS ABABA) – The Chinese government announced it has conducted mass evacuation of its oil workers from Paloch oilfields in South Sudan due to the ongoing fighting around the oilfields in the oil-rich Upper Nile state territory.

JPEG - 16.6 kb
Oil workers at one of petrodar oil fields (photo petrodar)

Heavy fighting between troops loyal to president Salva Kiir and the armed opposition faction (SPLM-IO), led by former vice president, Riek Machar, has continued near the oilfields since Tuesday.

In a statement announced in Beijing on China’s national television(CCTV) on Thursday, it said the decision came due to the insecurity around the oilfields resulting from the advance by the rebel forces towards the oilfields.

It said the Chinese embassies in both Khartoum and Juba with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), a government owned major oil company operating in Paloch, have already evacuated over 400 Chinese oil workers from the conflict area.

“More than 400 Chinese oil workers have been evacuated from South Sudan due to growing violence,” said the statement published by the Chinese government.

Beijing said the evacuated workers will be flown to China in the next few days.

This latest development largely contradicts South Sudan government’s claim on Thursday that oil workers were returning to Paloch allegedly after defeating the rebels.

REBELS BESIEGE PALOCH OILFIELDS

South Sudanese rebels, however, issued statements claiming their forces captured Tangrial Bil refinery site and besieged Paloch oilfields aiming to capture it.

They urged oil companies to close down and evacuate their workers for safety reasons.

The rebel leader’s spokesman, James Dak said the country’s main oilfields of Paloch, some 200kms north of Malakal, had been besieged and designated priority target.

“SPLM/SPLA forces have converged around Paloch oilfields - Adar (Upper Nile) state - from different directions to capture the oilfields from pro-Salva Kiir forces any time soon,” Dak said.

He said the leadership of the movement also renewed “strong advice” to any remaining oil worker in Paloch to evacuate for safety reasons.

He accused the government of allegedly using some oil workers as human shield and said Juba would be responsible for any harm on them.

“We have learnt with disbelief that the government, out of panic, has prevented some of international oil workers from leaving the area, using them as human shield,” he said.

“We call on oil companies operating in the area to ensure their workers are evacuated.”

The rebels said their counter-offensive aimed to temporarily close down oil production or to cut off Juba from the oil revenues which they said president Kiir’s government had been using to “hire mercenaries and buy weaponry to perpetuate the war.”

This, Dak said, was in response to government’s “full scale offense” which he described as a violation of the cessation of hostilities agreement between the two warring parties.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 22 May 2015 10:24, by Akuma

    Things are normal in paloch oilfield and all oil workers are now returning to the areas after rebels streamers were destroyed.

    repondre message

    • 22 May 2015 10:44, by Mi diit

      Chinese are wise. They know from their own intelligence reports that fighting is closing in to oilfields. They don’t depend on lies and deceptions from Juba. Government of Nyankiir Museveni is panicking and commiting suicide holding other oil workers hostage. Soon Paloch will be under the control of rebels like Malakal, Tangrial Bil, Akoka, etc.

      repondre message

      • 22 May 2015 11:10, by Rommel

        Mi diit:

        You are a pathetic, desperate little sap. I wonder if you will still be claiming that the rebels are ’besieging’ the oilfields a week from now. The rebels do not control Tangrial Bil or Akoka. And it’s interesting that you would so insouciantly feel free to lambast others for lying when you are the most gratuitous liar on this site. You share that in common with Riek and Gadet.

        repondre message

        • 22 May 2015 16:40, by Mi diit

          Rommel,

          It seems you are sobbing. Tune to CCTV for confirmation. Your lies that the oil workers are returning to Paloch has been proven. It is like your lies with your paymasters Lueth and Aguer that they controlled Malakal. Desperate liars...

          repondre message

      • 22 May 2015 19:17, by deng

        Midiit,

        Addis Ababa is not the capital of South Sudan it’s a capital of Ethiopia and any reports coming from there is a lie. Remember 7000 strong Chinese’s army Sudan put around oil field during our war struggle? Please don’t mess with them because if you guys shelled them that will be suicide and end of rebellion get it right!!!

        repondre message

        • 23 May 2015 06:36, by Joseph Canada

          Common Deng, whom are you trying to tell that manipulated lie? The Chinese Govt. cant involve themselves in that conflict. the 7000 Chinese Army put there was used by the Chinese to protect to protect their citizens not to fight to the people of that country. They have no business in that. No one is to be fooled by that lie bro. Thats the lie of the 50s. we are in 2015... hahahaha.!!

          repondre message

    • 22 May 2015 10:49, by Panda Odhie

      these are rebel reports but nothing they can do now since they were defeat now remain one inch to be blush out of South Sudan ,wait for minute ,they are going to cry including united nothing in South Sudan who make noise when rebels are defeated mafi raama this time.

      repondre message

  • 22 May 2015 14:57, by lino

    The Government of South Sudan must know wining a battle doesn’t mean wining the war; otherwise, SPLA should have done it before the CPA!!!
    The war is depleting your hard and local currency and now people are panicking before the sanctions kick in!!!

    repondre message

  • 22 May 2015 21:22, by Kim Deng

    It’s a matter of time before the Mighty Nuer Warriors (MNW) burn down this oilfields to ashes.

    http://nyamile.com/2015/05/22/over-400-chinese-oil-workers-evacuated-from-south-sudan/

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A path toward wealth and security: Investing in the health of Africa’s people 2016-08-28 10:17:30 By Jim Yong Kim Africa needs much more investment from the private sector to build its roads, energy and communications infrastructure. But for countries to make the most use of that (...)

South Sudan, a year after peace agreement 2016-08-20 21:39:17 By Beny Gideon Mabor “Our detractors have already written us off, even before the proclamation of our independence. They say we will slip into civil war as soon as our flag is hoisted. They (...)

Sudan Crisis: Who would be accountable for? 2016-08-18 09:11:56 A case sufficiently exposed, squarely tabled but evasively torpedoed with ulterior motives By Trayo Ahmed Ali As Sudan National Dialogue "roadmap" (proposed by the AUHIP Panel) was signed in (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese students, activists are at risk of torture: HRW 2016-05-25 14:40:51 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Students, Activists at Risk of Torture Free Detainees; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, May 25, 2016) – Sudanese national security officials have detained dozens of (...)

South Sudan: Civilians Killed, Tortured in Western Region 2016-05-24 22:01:01 Human Rights Watch For Immediate Release South Sudan: Civilians Killed, Tortured in Western Region Provide Justice for Army Abuses in Western Regions (Nairobi, May 24, 2016) – South Sudanese (...)

Open Letter to President Salva Kiir and 1st Vice President Dr. Riek Machar 2016-04-18 12:36:12 South Sudan Women United April 15, 2016 Your Excellencies: South Sudan Women United writes to congratulate you both on the steps you are taking towards ending violence in South Sudan and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.