Home | News    Thursday 14 May 2015

European diplomats voice concern over East Darfur clashes

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 13, 2015 (KHARTOUM) - European Union (EU) diplomats in Khartoum said "deeply concerned" by the resumption of tribal clashes in East Darfur and called to allow humanitarian access to the affected civilians.

The attack by Rizeigat tribesmen on the Ma’alia stronghold area of Abu-Karinka resulted in the death of over hundred people. Also, the clashes showed the government failure to put an end to this saga of violence between the two pastoral tribes.

The two sides had been building up before the fighting. On Saturday 9 May the governor of East Darfur state, al-Tayeb Abdel-Karim, announced the formation of joint committees including members of the two sides to convince the armed tribesmen to disperse stressing that the mobilization could lead to resumption of tribal clashes.

"The European diplomats are deeply concerned about the resumption of fighting which was foreseeable and further undermines the security and stability situation in Darfur," said a statement released on Wednesday.

EU missions in the Sudanese capital called to stop the fighting and "urged the authorities to protect civilians from harm, strengthen their efforts to appease the situation and complete a peaceful and enduring solution to the roots of the conflict"

Also, they urged the Sudanese religious and traditional leaders and civil society groups to campaign for the end of the fighting and support the mediation efforts.

On Wednesday, the Ma’alia renewed accusations against the central and state governments saying they provide support or directly involved in the conflict. But officials deny the accusations.

It was reported that the state government didn’t want to deploy its troops who are in majority are members of the Rezeigat tribe.

The European diplomat voiced their support for the request of aid group to provide humanitarian assistance to the needy from both sides.

They "urged the authorities to protect civilians from harm, strengthen their efforts to appease the situation and complete a peaceful and enduring solution to the roots of the conflict," said the statement.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)

South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… 2019-05-16 09:10:31 South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… By Wesley Kosa On April, Pope Francis invited the South Sudanese parties for a spiritual retreat, to narrow the gap between them as they get closer to the (...)

Riek Machar has some questions to answer 2019-05-13 12:23:43 By Gordon Buay The Chairman of the SPLM/A-IO, Mr Riek Machar, has some questions to answer why members of his Movement are the organizers of the Facebook Red Card Movement. We thought that the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.