Home | News    Friday 10 April 2015

Ugandan lawmaker describes UPDF mission in South Sudan as illegal

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 9, 2015 (KAMPALA) – An opposition leading member of national legislature on Thursday said the mission of Ugandan troops, involved in the inter South Sudanese conflict, was risky and illegal and urged to withdraw it from the war-ravaged country.

PNG - 209.4 kb
A contingent of soldiers from the Ugandan People’s Defence Force (Photo courtesy New Vision)

John Ken-Lukyamuzi, who is the leader of the opposition Conservative Party in the national parliament, further said the deployment of the Ugandan People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) in South Sudan was a violation of international law.

Ken-Lukyamuzi questioned the circumstances that led to the mission in the first place, saying Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni had not clarified the situation to the parliament.

“Whatever President Museveni’s government says, the continued stay of Ugandan troops in South Sudan grossly violates international law and must be urgently reviewed,” he wrote in an opinion article published in the Ugandan Observer.

“The question people continue to ask is why Uganda rushed in just after the spark of the war,” he said.

The lawmaker further said there was no evidence indicating the official invitation of UPDF by South Sudan president Salva Kiir, saying president Museveni failed to provide the invitation letter to parliament when inquired to produce it.
However, Uganda government on many occasions alleged that its troops were invited by president Salva Kiir.

The lawmaker however said it was time the troops withdrew and return home after 14 months of interfering in the unending internal civil war in the neighbouring country.

There have been conflicting reasons for the UPDF deployment in South Sudan, one of which was to hunt for the rebel group of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in western part of the country.

But when the war broke out on 15 December 2013 in the capital, Juba, UPDF immediately deployed to the war zone far from the threat of the LRA with the pretext that it was evacuating its citizens to safety.

Thousands of more UPDF troops were then deployed and involved in active combat against the rebel forces led by the former vice-president, Riek Machar.

UPDF successfully stopped speedy advance of rebel fighters who were matching towards Juba after they took control of the strategic Jonglei state’s capital, Bor.

UPDF retook the state capital, boasting about it, and has since continued to fight in other northern states of Upper Nile by carrying out bombings against the rebel-held territories.

However, president Museveni said his troops would remain in the country to provide security for the capital, Juba, where president Kiir’s government sits, claiming that the capital would be overrun by the rebels should they leave it to South Sudan army to protect.

UPDF also provides security for Bor and its surroundings, making sure the rebels would not recapture the state capital and threaten Juba.

Late last year, the two allied countries further their security cooperation by signing a military cooperation agreement which authorised Kampala to purchase weaponry on behalf of Juba and to continue with direct combat support against the rebels.

South Sudanese rebels have however been calling for the withdrawal of the foreign forces from South Sudan.

The rebels said the presence of the Ugandan forces and other allied foreign rebel groups was undermining the peace process.

The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) which has been mediating the peace process in vain for the past 14 months also failed to persuade their member state, Uganda, to withdraw its forces in implementation of the ceasefire agreement the regional bloc brokered.

But the Ugandan opposition leader said there were signs that the war may continue in South Sudan and that UPDF should not continue to take security responsibility in South Sudan for indefinite period of time.

“There is a problem in South Sudan. It appears that both sides in the South Sudan civil war are planning for the conflict to continue. The agreements signed on the cessation of hostilities in Addis Ababa have not reached any meaningful end,” he said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Perils of Managing Transition: Will Sudanese Kandakas be the option? 2019-05-21 04:45:56 By Luka Kuol, PhD Global Fellow at Peace Research Institute Oslo, Associate Professor at University of Juba and Fellow at Rift Valley Institute Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular (...)

Justices delay is justices denied 2019-05-21 04:40:18 By Wesley Kosa The Khartoum Peace Agreement was the result of the political manipulation by the governments of South Sudan, Uganda and Sudan. There were no extensive discussions and mediation (...)

The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.