Home | News    Thursday 9 April 2015

W. Equatoria ramps up security after rebels claim new attack

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 8, 2015 (JUBA) – Authorities in South Sudan’s state of Western Equatoria said they have increased deployment of security forces after a new rebel group claimed responsibility for Tuesday attack in the area which left at least one vehicle destroyed.

JPEG - 20.7 kb
A soldier from the South Sudanese army stands in front of a vehicle in South Sudan’s Unity State on 12 January 2014 (AP)

A rebel group calling itself Revolutionary Movement for National Salvation (REMNASA) claimed responsibility for the attack, saying their forces destroyed a convoy of South Sudan army between Maridi and Mambe towns, further claiming to have besieged the road.

REMNASA rebels in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Wednesday said they destroyed two military trailers transporting army supplies, including arms and ammunitions from its Maridi headquarters and warned of further attacks.

“REMNASA would like to reiterate that attacks on SPLA conveys and vehicles will continue in all its theatre of operation particularly roads linking up the major cities and those seen as major supply roads,” partly reads the statement.

“Therefore we take this opportunity to warn civilians and traders against using either army conveys or carry army supplies or personnel because they avail themselves the opportunity to become legitimate target in this protracted fight against the dictatorship, oppression and tribal hegemony being perpetuated by the genocidal regime of Salva Kiir and the tribal council of Jieng [Dinka] elders in Juba,” it added.

The rebel group formed last year, which operates separately from the main armed opposition faction of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM-IO) led by former vice-president Riek Machar, claimed to have dispersed 50 government troops who were accompanying the convoys.

Western Equatoria state’s authorities confirmed the Tuesday attacks, but said commercial vehicles were the target.

Maridi county commissioner Wilson Thomas Yanga in an interview with Sudan Tribune on Wednesday said the group set ablaze a commercial vehicle at around 11pm while travelling between Maridi and Mambe towns.

“The truck was returning from Wau [Western Bahr el Ghazal state] with passengers when it was stopped and looted,” Yanga told Sudan Tribune.

“There was no harm to the passengers. They only took some money from the passengers,” he added.

Although the state authorities could not immediately confirm the perpetrators, he said they received reports that the new rebel group in the area was responsible for the attack.

He added that the rebels took some money from passengers but did not harm any of them. The passengers had to walk from the scene of the incident after their truck was destroyed.

REMNASA was formed in January commanded by Major Losuba Lodoru, a former military official working with the ministry of defence in Juba before his defection.

This is the second time the armed group carried out an attack in the state after 27 January’s attack on army’s position in Maridi this year in which the rebel group allegedly killed six government soldiers.

The group accused the Kiir-led government of tribalism, sectarianism and lack of vision for the country, saying they rebelled to forcefully remove the current leadership in Juba.

The new rebel faction is not however part of the ongoing peace process in Addis Ababa.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 April 2015 05:26, by panda

    The war is not between Dinka and Nuer it everyone problems in South Sudan including Equatoria

    repondre message

  • 9 April 2015 08:20, by Ajongtar

    Our 2nd target will be in Central/Eastern roads soon.

    Oboma village is our terget.

    repondre message

  • 9 April 2015 08:26, by hamil

    We are going to be having several rebel factions in South Sudan. This war will tear this country to pieces

    repondre message

  • 10 April 2015 02:00, by jur_likang_a_ likan’g

    They said they had it all. They can do what they want because they liberated us yet they oppress us, suppress our political views, changed Arab imperialism with a Dinka brand. Now the oppressed have began to talk substance. They need nothing other than freeing themselves from these uncouth people.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


High hopes in Nairobi Talks between South Sudan Parties 2018-07-13 10:32:02 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi Yes, I have high hopes in the expected Nairobi round of Talks between the South Sudanese Parties. To those who may not be knowing the last month’s Summit of the IGAD (...)

Comprehensive political reform is the only way to address Sudan economic crisis 2018-07-11 21:42:53 By Hafiz Mohamed Sudan is facing multiple crises, mainly due to unclear political vision to tackle them, the current chronical economic problem is the manifestation of that. The Government of (...)

Should the AU, UN takeover South Sudan peace process? 2018-07-11 21:09:21 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi Over the weekend, the media widely reported that South Sudan's warring parties agreed to a power-sharing deal reinstating the leader of the armed opposition (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)

Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.