Home | News    Thursday 26 February 2015

More than 600 child soldiers demobilised in Pibor

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 25, 2015 (BOR) – More than 600 child soldiers have been demobilised in South Sudan’s semi-autonomous Greater Pibor Administrative Area (GPAA).

JPEG - 24.1 kb
Child soldiers salute their commander (AFP)

The identification and demobilisation program came after the formation of the Joint Military Technical Committee (JMTC).

The committee is composed of equal members of the South Sudanese army (SPLA), government officials and the South Sudan Democratic Army (SSDA) Cobra faction as provided for in an agreement signed last May.

The 600 are among 3,000 children expected to be demobilised from Cobra forces in the GPAA. The reintegration process is expected to conclude in about a month’s time.

In an interview with Sudan Tribune by phone from Juba on Wednesday, Peter Guzulu, who works as an advisor to the chief administrator for the area, said the child soldiers had been identified and subsequently screened out of military service.

Demobilisation exercises had now been completed in Gumuruk, Zertet and Pibor, with Likuangule, Boma and Pochalla also to be targeted in the coming days.

Soldiers with disabilities and old age have not yet been targeted during the screening exercise according to him.

The children had now been put under the care of United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), which was providing them with humanitarian assistance.

“UNICEF is doing a lot for these children. They (UNICEF) have constructed [a] centre in Gumuruk and Pibor to provide them (child soldiers) with food, water and other services,” said Guzulu.

He said there were also plans to construct vocational centres and schools to allow the children to resume their education.

Rebel forces led by David Yau Yau waged a four-year insurgency against the South Sudanese government as part of efforts to secure an independent state.

Many young boys from the Murle tribe took part in the movement against the government in support of Yau Yau, who was appointed chief administrator of the GPAA following the signing of a peace agreement.

In a statement to Sudan Tribune two weeks ago, Joseph Lilimoy, the deputy chief administrator for finance and administration, denied the former rebel group had used children on the frontline, but admitted they had participated in fighting by carrying ammunition and other supplies for soldiers.

“Although they were armed, we never used them on the front lines. These children had a bright future for us. They joined the movement for protection, not to fight,” said Lilimoy.

The 600 child soldiers screened out of military service so far represents about one-fifth of the total number being targeted for demobilisation in the GPAA.

Attempts by Sudan Tribune to contact UNICEF for comment were unsuccessful.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.